Scotty Kilmer: Never Buy a Used Car from the Dealership

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
None of what you're saying is upholdable in court unless it's on your purchase agreement. The contract a dealer makes you sign will typically say you're buying a used car "as is". You could buy that car and the engine could explode as you drive it off the lot and if you signed the paperwork it's yours the end. There's usually a list of things that can go wrong with a car they give you as well and on the back of a purchase agreement it will say you read that and understand it.

New cars at least have lemon laws. Used cars in the United States are mostly as is. The only power you have at a dealer is before you sign a purchase agreement.

it may be a state thing NJ Auto laws are probably some of the strictest in the country, if the car is less than 7 years old and has less than 100k miles on it, you still get a 30 day warranty on the power train at minimum. I bought my daughter a used Nissan Murano some years back and the transmission fell out day 29, Nissan put a brand new trans, dealer paid the invoice.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
scotty is GOAT status but he does come off like an old curmudgeon so people will disregard him immediately. his advice isnt always applicable to everybody. he is a mechanic, so evaluating cars on your own is something he will benefit from. a lot of people need that certified preowned inspection and warranty because they will be food when they go out to buy a well-presented lemon from some individual.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
No, I've bought 5 used cars from a dealer and the only one I knew I probably got ripped on was my VW CC. Otherwise I've been able to resell them at good prices.

I've sold cars before so I know they are going to get their cut. That doesn't mean you can't buy it right. As far as the car goes, when buying used it really doesn't matter who you buy from, its always a crapshoot.
Just as an update. I bought a CPO VW GTI from a local dealer last summer and its been damn near flawless. I bought it right(valued appropriately) with $500 cash down/0% financing and I've got $7,000 in equity now at current values.