Scream 7 starring Neve Campbell, Directed by Williamson

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030

The Scream film franchise took quite the hiatus between 2011’s Scream 4 and 2022’s Scream. The newest installment has successfully revived the brand, however, with Scream VI having been quickly put together. Now it looks like Scream 7 is on the way next.

The latest installment in the franchise is still several days away from hitting theaters. But fans are already becoming restless as Ghostface’s return to the big screen draws nearer – and now it appears the studio is preparing to meet the demand of fans who want more.

We’ve received news from our sources that a follow-up to Scream VI has been officially greenlit. The tentatively-titled Scream 7 is being prepped to shoot this year. It looks like the studio hopes to have this film shot and released as quickly as its predecessor.

If anything, this means that Paramount is quite confident with their upcoming release of Scream VI. Of course, it’s unknown what exactly the storyline will involve since Scream VI has yet to be released. But it certainly looks like we could expect yet another Ghostface killer to rise to the occasion. Hopefully we’ll have more news on that front soon – especially as Scream VI is officially released.

The Scream film franchise debuted with its eponymous film in 1996. The self-aware slasher film became a major success following word-of-mouth and a sequel was released in 1997. A third film, titled Scream 3, was released in 2000. It wouldn’t be until eleven years later that Scream 4 rebooted the brand in 2011. And despite a short-lived television series, the original continuity didn’t make a return until 2022. Now it’s clear we’re in the full swing of things – with the most momentum the franchise has seen in decades.

Fans will be able to see Scream VI when it hits theaters on March 10, 2023. Stay tuned to ScreenGeek for any additional updates on the Scream horror film franchise as we have them

Deadline
TIP US

Neve Campbell Says She Is Back For New ‘Scream’ Movie; Kevin Williamson Set To Direct​

By Justin Kroll
March 12, 2024 11:05am
Neve Campbell

Neve CampbellMichael Loccisano/EveryStory2023/Getty Images

UPDATED with more details: Neve Campbell said Tuesday that she will return as Sidney Prescott for the next film in the Scream franchise.
In an Instagram post today, Campbell said she’s been asked back and is happy to return to the pic, which for now is known only as Untitled Scream 7 and will be directed by original Scream writer Kevin Williamson from a script penned by Guy Busick.

Related Stories​

Melissa Barrera in a scene from 'Scream VI'

Melissa Barrera Breaks Silence After ‘Scream 7’ Firing: “I Condemn Anti-Semitism And Islamophobia”

Jenna Ortega Not Returning For ‘Scream 7’ Due To ‘Wednesday’ Shooting Schedule – The Dish

Campbell, an original Scream star, did not appear in last year’s sixth movie of the franchise because of a pay dispute. Her most recent appearance in the series was 2022’s Scream, which served as a franchise reboot. She had signaled as recently as January that she wouldn’t rule out returning to the role for the right price.

“It’s always been such a blast and an honor to get to play Sidney in the Scream movies,” Campbell wrote today. “My appreciation for these films and for what they have meant to me, has never waned. I’m very happy and proud to say I’ve been asked, in the most respectful way, to bring Sidney back to the screen and I couldn’t be more thrilled!!!”

Campbell added that she had “dreamt for years” of making a Scream movie with Williamson at the helm — his first time directing in the franchise. He takes over from Christopher Landon, who exited the project in late 2023.
“It’s been nearly 30 years since my very first script, Scream, was directed by the legendary Wes Craven,” Williamson wrote in his own Instagram post today. “I never would have predicted what it would become. Or that I would be directing the seventh installment of the franchise.”
Busick (Scream 2022 and Scream VI) is taking over screenwriting reins from James Vanderbilt, producer Spyglass Media Group said today. Vanderbilt, who is on location directing Nuremberg, will continue to produce Scream 7 alongside his Project X Entertainment partners William Sherak and Paul Neinstein. Radio Silence is executive producing.
The Scream project has been in the news in recent months after star Melissa Barrera was let go because of comments she made on social media about the conflict between Israel and Hamas. Jenna Ortega later left the project due to scheduling reasons, and Landon soon followed.
RELATED: Melissa Barrera Breaks Silence After ‘Scream 7’ Firing: “I Condemn Anti-Semitism And Islamophobia”

Campbell’s return will get things in motion, but no date is set for the new film.
On the heels of the 2022 Scream relaunch, Scream VI hit theaters in March 2023 and broke the original’s record for the highest domestic box office gross in the franchise ($108.1 million). Its global box office cume is $168.9 million.
Campbell is repped Gersh, Anonymous Content, and Johnson, Shapiro, Slewett & Kole.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.

Last edited:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
Hope this isn't true. If anything, it's the writing that needs improvement. :snoop:

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
I don't like this at all
I don’t either, lol. Seems like a decision that boiled down to Paramount simply not being patient enough with RS’s schedule conflict.

Freaky and Happy Death Day were entertaining entries but if I had a scale for both, one side would heavily lean on the comedic side more so than horror. That’s my biggest concern with Landon taking over. Ready or Not felt like a better balance of both realms, which was why I had plenty confidence in Radio Silence nailing the tone for 5 & 6. Can’t say I liked every thing about the writing, but the tone felt respectful to Wes’ original line.

This feels like Scream 3 all over again, but maybe Landon can prove me wrong here.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Scream 6 can just be the end one, it was that good to me.

Making Scream any softer, and goofier, risks undercutting, what is an increasingly shaky premise in 2023, and 6 entries deep.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
Cant say I've liked anything he's done but i didnt enjoy the last Scream either so we'll see. I do think the radio silence dudes should've have been given the trilogy but it is what it is. They're risking a Star Wars situation that could dead the whole franchise if he flops.