Since Zendaya won an Emmy, are biracials black or mixed?

Are people like Zendaya black or mixed?

• Total voters

Mystic

All Star
Daps
One drop rule was just created so they wouldn't have to acknowledge a black looking man or woman's white side IMO but are they black or mixed? When you mix chocolate ice cream with vanilla the vanilla and IIRC you don't taste the vanilla anymore :patrice:Never thought of it growing up as it was never a topic at school or anywhere and don't recall ever calling a mixed person black or mixed growing up. High school was similar but I knew they were mixed(maybe I still didn't know shyt I just saw black but I never heard any my mom/dad is white or biracial talks in high school so idk). Now it's been like white mother and black father or the opposite and you're black you just got white in you too but black is dominate so you black not mixed(although mixed technically and it's either it is or it isn't, no technicality exists but like whatever, they black) but now I'm just like it's it.disrespectful to say she black like Keke Palmer, or is she black like Keke Palmer just different or is she totally different like indians and native americas :jbhmm:Not trying to start shyt just wanted some clarification cause I never researched the shyt and only knew the basics of the one drop rule(like what the average person knows, one black parent and you're black)

Tair

Superstar
Daps
If people consider the one drop rule racist then the very idea of race should also be seen in the same way.

If you want to do away with the one drop rule, let's do away with the idea of race as well.
There is no other reason to have designated racial groups other than to ensure white hedgemony.

Ethnicity matters in that it tells you more about a group than their so-called racial classification. I sometimes use the term "Black" to mean ADOS/Freedman/etc... Basically to describe a particular group of people from a particular area with a unique history.

As for the "biracial" person whose Black parent is ADOS, I consider them ADOS, so they are Black. They are entitled to reparations.

:manny:

Last edited:

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
She black but she also white

The difference being she will always be seen as black no matter what
She won't always be seen as white

She can't pass as white so she would be discriminated against still by white people.

I think that's what truly binds black people and mixed people. The discrimination from whtie people for not looking white. Mixed people get more passes than 100% black people tho.

Mystic

All Star
Daps
She black but she also white

The difference being she will always be seen as black no matter what
She won't always be seen as white

She can't pass as white so she would be discriminated against still by white people.

I think that's what truly binds black people and mixed people. The discrimination from whtie people for not looking white. Mixed people get more passes than 100% black people tho.

So these people you'd consider white? I get what you saying I ain't trying to aruge just wanted to get your perspective

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION

So these people you'd consider white? I get what you saying I ain't trying to aruge just wanted to get your perspective

On first glance yes. But they are culturally black and have black lineage. Race is a social construct based upon physical skin color. They are black culturally and genetically. If we look primarily through the lens of race then they would be white. This really shows just how dumb race is as a concept. The idea that your skin color determines your worth and value in society is ridiculous

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Whichever one they claim through their choice of people they surround themselves with. If i only see you with white people, i assume you don't identify as black and see yourself more as mixed.

High Art

đź‘‘King of The Salonđź‘‘
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Your favorite poster's favorite poster.
I used to be inclined to use someone's experiences in addition to their background/culture but not everyone has the same experiences as black people, with too much of it being due in part to the variances in a person's background. I do think there should be a better consensus on the issue. I've seen people rail against the one drop rule and make some good arguments but at the same time, due to how intermixed a lot of black people are, even this falls apart. Add that it is noted that such was something white people put upon us then you have other issues. The opposing argument of "cops will still see us as black" and all that runs into the same problem since it has the same basis: being centered around the views of someone outside of the black community.

That said, I wouldn't call a mixed person white, yet at the same time, even though blackness is not performative, if someone is consistently acting anti-black while having some considerable genetic claim to something not black, are they a c00n for acting as they are or merely being racist in itself? I generally consider mixed people black but it does make for an interesting discussion. The interplay of history, science, philosophy, and socioeconomic factors even, centered around a discussion of race. No wonder these discussions are complicated. :pachaha: