Single Parent vs Co Parent: What is a Single Parent?

You Agree?

• I agree!

• I agree and I'm guilty of using the term "single parent" incorrectly. Thanks for letting me know.

• I disagree and will explain in the thread.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Giselle

Daps
I think people use the term single mother/single father wrong.

A co parent (what a lot of people usually call single parents) is a person who is not with ther mother/father of their kid, but the other parent is still in the child's life helping to raise them.

A real single parent is someone who is taking care of the kids by themselves. The other parent is not in their childs life at all.

I see much more co parents than single parents, but most people call them single parents.

Stop using the word wrong. Thanks.

& Happy Holidays :queen:

Last edited:

1 other person

Superstar
Daps
258bf345_AlonzoMourningThinks.gif

Giselle

Daps
So if both parents are doing terrible in life is the parent a single parent?
If both parents were a mess doing terrible in life, then they more than likely would not have custody of that child.

Cabbage Patch

The Media scene in V is for Vendetta is the clue
Daps
Reppin
The Last Frontier
Single parent is for welfare benefits. Its someone dependent.

Co parents don't need government or alimony or child support. Its independence.

Knuckles Red

<3<3<3
Daps
If both parents aren't married, and raising the child/children under the same roof it doesn't really matter. The outcome will most likely be the same, IMO.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Single parent means not married to the child's mother/father. That's why it's called single, as in unmarried or unwed. Otherwise the children wouldn't be considered out of wedlock, they'd come from divorced parents. In which case, unless the parents remarried, they're still single with regard to their child.

Giselle

Daps
Single parent.

single and a parent

Single parent means not married to the child's mother/father. That's why it's called single, as in unmarried or unwed. Otherwise the children wouldn't be considered out of wedlock, they'd come from divorced parents. In which case, unless the parents remarried, they're still single with regard to their child.
Being a co parent isn't really a bad thing, because the child has both parents. Being a single parent is.

Grouping them together complicates things because there are two different situations.

People always speak about single parents in such negative ways, and always imply that the other parent (usually the father) is not in the child's life at all. That usually isn't true. It's wrong, and that's why people who are co parenting should call themselves co parents instead of single parents. They aren't in a romantic relationship (some are if they aren't legally married) with the other parent, but they still have a relationship with each other to raise the child.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Being a co parent isn't really a bad thing, because the child has both parents. Being a single parent is.

Grouping them together complicates things because there are two different situations.

People always speak about single parents in such negative ways, and always imply that the other parent (usually the father) is not in the child's life at all. That usually isn't true. It's wrong, and that's why people who are co parenting should call themselves co parents instead of single parents. They aren't in a romantic relationship (some are if they aren't legally married) with the other parent, but they still have a relationship with each other to raise the child.

You're playing semantics here. The reason they are single is because they are unmarried. That's it. Simply put. All that other shyt you mentioned is nonsense. Single parenthood might have negative connotations but that still doesn't change the fact that they're single because they're not married.