So Gus Fring was a military commander for the Chilean army?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I know we been had this convo a million times but I'm watchin 'One Minute' and Hector on the phone and he says in spanish I don't care who he knows and refers to him as generalissimo which is a military rank; a commander of a military unit. Gus is Chilean and we assume he must have been in Pinochet's army. I'm sure there are other instances of Gus background but I can't remember off top.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I spoke on this before but Pinochet had super labs in real life that would create color variant versions of drugs (like black cocaine) so it was easier to smuggle.

Gus was most likely a military commander in charge of those labs. Which is where he got his idea for a super lab from.

Fred.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
In my opinion the Gus we saw in the flashback at the pool was way too wide-eyed, innocent and naive to have been any sort of player in Pinochet's government. His lack of experience in dealing with heavy people was obvious. He went about making his pitch the wrong way, he misread Eladio and the situation completely and walked into the lion's den completely vulnerable and powerless. He acted like he was talking to some angel investor interested in his app, not a mass murderer.

The South American and Caribbean governments were the deep end of the pool as far as machiavellian politics were concerned, they required ruthlessness and cunning that would make a mafia boss cringe. There's just now way the Gus we saw at the pool would have survived.

In my opinion the writers themselves don't know Gus' backstory beyond the fact that he was "someone" in Chile, and the hints we've gotten have been contradictory.

-when they threw the word "generalissimo" in there I thought they were going in that direction.

-after the flashback at the pool I thought someone in Gus' family was big(possibly he was related to Pinochet himself) but that Gus wasn't involved in any way, he was probably sent to the US to be schooled. That's what the elites of foreign countries do.

-then there's the story in the latest season of BCS which reveals he grew up in El Chapo levels of poverty, so there goes that idea.

I really don't know what to expect. I don't think we'll ever get a clear story.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In my opinion the Gus we saw in the flashback at the pool was way too wide-eyed, innocent and naive to have been any sort of player in Pinochet's government. His lack of experience in dealing with heavy people was obvious. He went about making his pitch the wrong way, he misread Eladio and the situation completely and walked into the lion's den completely vulnerable and powerless. He acted like he was talking to some angel investor interested in his app, not a mass murderer.

The South American and Caribbean governments were the deep end of the pool as far as machiavellian politics were concerned, they required ruthlessness and cunning that would make a mafia boss cringe. There's just now way the Gus we saw at the pool would have survived.

In my opinion the writers themselves don't know Gus' backstory beyond the fact that he was "someone" in Chile, and the hints we've gotten have been contradictory.

-when they threw the word "generalissimo" in there I thought they were going in that direction.

-after the flashback at the pool I thought someone in Gus' family was big(possibly he was related to Pinochet himself) but that Gus wasn't involved in any way, he was probably sent to the US to be schooled. That's what the elites of foreign countries do.

-then there's the story in the latest season of BCS which reveals he grew up in El Chapo levels of poverty, so there goes that idea.

I really don't know what to expect. I don't think we'll ever get a clear story.

I don’t think gus was naive, more like inexperienced. when Pinochet was making drugs it was a governmental effort. I’m going to assume he thought it would be the same when dealing with Elaido, he assumed their greed would open a pathway into a distribution deal. Obviously he should of only went himself. No reason to expose your chemist

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
@Mr. Pink You make some good points I thought a lot about the scene by the pool. I did think Gus came off a lil inexperienced at that point which would likely contradict a military commander unless the Chilean army had officers like we do who never seen combat? But later in the series we see how ruthless Gus can be with the box cutter. I don't think seeing his mans shot dead turned him that way...

So now I'm thinking that maybe he was an ex officer and him looking inexperienced in front of Don Eladio was a ploy so that the Mexicans didn't view him as a threat. I think Hector sniffed it out.