So many Black channels so little Original black programming...

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Whats going on here?

We have

TVONE
CENTRIC
BET

And all they do is play fukking sitcom rerunds? Do they not have any type of budget or is it something else?

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
You forgot one: Bounce TV which is the only one actually owned by black folks.
Centric is a BET sister channel (it used to be BET Jazz) targeted towards older black audience while BET goes after the younger demographic and both are owned by Viacom.
TV One is jointly owned by Radio One and Comcast.
They all have the same issue which is they have hardly any original programming (TV One and BET are the only ones that have any regular original content).
I would like to see some more influential black folks get behind Bounce TV and help it become something more than a place to air Fat Albert reruns and multiple re-airings of The Wiz.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
BET had some new shows this year, but I dont think anyone watched them.....so you have that issue.

The old shows in rerun were made on big networks with great budgets, writers, producers, etc. So they're just better.

To be honest, at this point, young nikkas dont want to see good new TV shows. The ppl who watch Martin reruns or Amen, etc., are the ppl who grew up with those shows...NOT the younger crowd.

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If they DID make new shows, nikkas wouldn't watch them.

Or maybe they WOULD, but they wouldn't appeal to anyone else.

cfountain

Wavy Like A Lake
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana
that show BET tried to push with Malcolm Jamal Warner and the girl from Girlfriends was terrible. :smh:not funny at all and a knock-off My Wife and Kids. They also ran The Game into the ground,in my opinion. I can see why the CW let it die if that's what the writers were pitching to them. They just cant make anything good. Tho I havent watched much of Lets Stay Together, I believe its called.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
excluding BET, those channels are probably tax write offs to the parent companies. BET exists for music video playing during after school hours. they probably make almost all revenue during that period. the other channels might be breaking even.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
There is a dearth of money for Black TV shows and most black people 18-34 are not interested in sitcoms, just movies, reality shows, and music videos.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Well TV One is full of reality shows but that being said, sitcoms are extremely expensive, you have to have something of a surefire hit and if you don't it's not worth it for the network to blow money producing it, plus there is a relatively small pool of Black actors so I think at best you're going to end up rehashing an older sitcom.

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
There's a new channel called 'Bounce' out as well. Here in LA you can pick it up with a digital antenna