Sooo my dad is in a pretty hilarious cult that believes God came back in 1918 as a Korean man and there is a heavenly mother

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
You're arguing semantics not valid reasons,

lol, come on breh, at least try to have a serious conversation here.

Man #1: "Repent of your sins. I want to tell you how to live a better life so you can enjoy the Kingdom of Heaven. It all boils down to "Love the Lord your God and love your neighbor as yourself. You just need to take another look at your Scriptures and understand the true intention behind them. The truth is available to anyone who opens their eyes."

Man #2: "An angel gave me golden tablets that present an alternate history of the world where Hebrews came to the Americas in 600 B.C. and led them to the Jewish faith, then Jesus came to America and converted them to Christianity, but then they turned away from God and their skin became Black. And I'm the only one who knows this!"

Man #3: "75 million years ago, an alien emperor came to Earth and killed all his subjects here, then poured their bodies into volcanoes and blew them up with nuclear bombs, so their lost souls now wander the Earth. You can only be free of them if you pay $49.99 to take our special test and begin your cleansing sessions at $149.99 per session. I am the only one who kows this!"

The fact that you can't discern the fundamental difference between #1 and the others is ridiculous. And it has nothing to do with "time in history." Islam was founded a long time ago too, yet we still can easily tell that Mohammed was fundamentally different than Jesus in: a) he wrote an alternate history of world events and b) he amassed material and political power.

My point is that at the end of the day, what the bible, the book of mormon and Hubbard's writing all have in common is they present a counterfactual version of history/creation.

But Jesus didn't write the Bible or any of those accounts of creation. Jesus had literally nothing to do with writing the Old Testament, it was written hundreds of years before his time. Nor did he hardly even talk about the Biblical account of creation, it's only barely mentioned in his teachings.

For Jesus, you can't even tell if he takes Genesis 1 and 2 as literal or as metaphorical. The choice is not the least bit important to what he's teaching. Whereas for Joseph Smith and L. Ron Hubbard, the fake histories they invented were ESSENTIAL to their message, without those fake histories they wouldn't even have a ministry at all.

If you're being objective like you claim, then you can't fail to see the distinctions there. You're claiming that Jesus, who took the ancient religious texts of his community for granted, is the equivalent of men who entirely fabricated entire religious texts with obvious lies from scratch. You refuse to even acknowledge the obvious difference between someone who preaches from established religious texts and someone who fabricates religious texts on his own, or between someone who amasses financial and other power for himself and someone who rejects such power.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I also want to make note that I didn't insult you once yet your tone was disrespectful in each response, let go of your ego.

Oh, no, you definitely weren't disrespectful from the beginning. Not when you:

1. Called my faith a cult

2. Claimed Jesus was nothing more than the equivalent of two obvious fraudsters.

3. Claimed that Christians in general have invalid arguments and are just judgmental

4. Stated that my identity alone means it is impossible for me to be objective and implied that makes your take more valid than mine

5. Claimed that it was impossible for me to have historical arguments for my historical statement, only religious arguments.

6. Used laughing emojis

7. Called me the disrespectful one.

If you step into a conversation on a subject you don't know much about and proceed to make false claims, then insult the person correcting you when he calls those false claims out, and then try to tone police rather than admitting you were wrong, then you shouldn't expect to be taken seriously.

Your entire argument is based on the false premise that Jesus, Joseph Smith, and L. Ron Hubbard did basically the same thing. And that claim is objectively false.