Staying on top of your team during the season

K-O-B

Management
Daps
Reppin
Back in Mass!
This is where you will put yourself in the best position to win or lose, depending on how much work you put in. Of course in playoff leagues, it comes down to a little luck in the end because outcomes can be fluky. But during the season a true fantasy player will separate themselves as a real threat or someone who just sets their lineup weekly.

You still want to read as much as you can, but I would find writers that you actually like. Many writers will have consistent weekly add/drop, start and sit, and general stat columns. You still want as much information as possible. You want to stay on top of the news, particularly who's hurt and who's becoming a starter.

Rotoworld is a website I check regularly. Between the news feature and the most searched players. There is a reason why managers are searching for these players. Also many of the websites (Yahoo, CBS, etc) have a player trend page that will list who's hot and cold with searches, add, and drops.

Twitter will also be huge, you want to subscribe to your favorite writers. If some breaking news happens you want to know as quickly as possible so you can add players. You will win your league with what you do on the waiver wire. Being on top of the waiver wire is more important then having a strong draft. I've seen teams will because they added one key RB.

Make sure you use all the tools that are given to you. Many sites have a watch function where you can highlight players you want to keep tabs on. It's much easier to look at all these players on one page and compare them then doing individual searches for them. Most of the time you'll be able to add or trade for these players right from that screen.

Coming up, I'll post some stats I look at in each sport to help me find guys on the waiver wire people may not be looking at.

BeezyWeezy

Retired :whew:
Daps
Reppin
Florida
Being good on the waiver wire can potentially make or break your season, depending on how good your draft was. That being said there are ALWAYS WITHOUT FAIL, at least 2-3 players that come off the wire, that finish in the top 10-15 of their position. Think DeMarco Murray for the Cowboys last year, or Victor Cruz for the Giants.

Depending upon the position, there are a number of stats I like to look at as well. For RB's I'm looking at total touches, that's carries and receptions, as I wan't to see how much the offense runs through them.

For WR's (and RB's too) I look at how many Targets they got/get, and how many they average per game. I also look at how many of those targets they turned into completions, their drop rate, and their average yards per catch, as I wan't to know if I'm getting a Davon Bess (high reception total with low yards) or a Desean Jackson (low catch total, but hight amount of yards).

Lastly, I look at Red Zone stats for all positions. For RB's I wan't to know how many carries they got at the goal line and how many of those attempts they converted. For WR's how many red zone targets did they see. Lastly for QB's I'm looking for red zone pass attempts and completion percentage, so I can know if their likely to throw the ball in the red zone, or if their team is going to try and pound the rock in with the RB.

K-O-B

Management
Daps
Reppin
Back in Mass!
Being good on the waiver wire can potentially make or break your season, depending on how good your draft was. That being said there are ALWAYS WITHOUT FAIL, at least 2-3 players that come off the wire, that finish in the top 10-15 of their position. Think DeMarco Murray for the Cowboys last year, or Victor Cruz for the Giants.

Depending upon the position, there are a number of stats I like to look at as well. For RB's I'm looking at total touches, that's carries and receptions, as I wan't to see how much the offense runs through them.

For WR's (and RB's too) I look at how many Targets they got/get, and how many they average per game. I also look at how many of those targets they turned into completions, their drop rate, and their average yards per catch, as I wan't to know if I'm getting a Davon Bess (high reception total with low yards) or a Desean Jackson (low catch total, but hight amount of yards).

Lastly, I look at Red Zone stats for all positions. For RB's I wan't to know how many carries they got at the goal line and how many of those attempts they converted. For WR's how many red zone targets did they see. Lastly for QB's I'm looking for red zone pass attempts and completion percentage, so I can know if their likely to throw the ball in the red zone, or if their team is going to try and pound the rock in with the RB.

Yep you just stole my football posting :noah:. But i'm still going to do what I look for in baseball and basketball.

BeezyWeezy

Retired :whew:
Daps
Reppin
Florida
Yep you just stole my football posting :noah:. But i'm still going to do what I look for in baseball and basketball.

My bad breh :snoop:

Was just trying to contribute! Figured you'd have some additional stats you might look at when searching the waiver wire. I was just trying to highlight some things I look for. :cheers:

I don't mess with basketball or baseball fantasy, so you know for sure that I won't be able to steal those :lolbron:

K-O-B

Management
Daps
Reppin
Back in Mass!
My bad breh :snoop:

Was just trying to contribute! Figured you'd have some additional stats you might look at when searching the waiver wire. I was just trying to highlight some things I look for. :cheers:

I don't mess with basketball or baseball fantasy, so you know for sure that I won't be able to steal those :lolbron:

It's all good, I just haven't had time to sit down and write. Trying to start a new thread a day, and have others post their ideas in there. Then I was going to make a just thread and list links to these threads. And my advice goes towards football, baseball, and basketball; but, everyone is in a football frame of mind so everyone is gearing towards that.