“Stevie Wonder told me I needed to do 5 hours a day to get good at piano”: Super-producer Raphael Saadiq on taking advice from a legend

LevelUp

🧞🪔 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙞𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙇𝙖𝙢𝙥 🧞🪔
Daps
No wonder, then, that Fender recently gave Saadiq his own signature Telecaster model, and he was happy to talk about not only that but also his considerable achievements in the studio with our sister website Guitar World.

“I’ve played a Tele on every record I’ve been on; I’ve always played Teles,” he says. “It ended up being a natural fit that worked out better than the Stratocaster for me. Obviously, I think the Stratocaster is a beast of a guitar, but they also make me play a little different... I just love Teles

Of his guitarist inspirations, Saadiq adds that “the one player I grew up listening to was Tony Maiden from [American funk group] Rufus. He was the first person I paid attention to who was playing a Tele.

“After that it was all about Prince, because he really loved Teles,” he continues. “You can hear that twang on songs like When You Were Mine. His tones would just bite you - it almost felt like a bass to me

Speaking of the bass, Saadiq’s skills on this instrument were in play when he worked on Lady, a much-loved cut from D’Angelo’s definitive 1995 neo-soul album, Brown Sugar. This was their first collaboration, and the two men nailed the behind-the-beat groove right off the bat

More at link