Tech companies are facing a crisis "hiring"

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
I guess I’m the only one here who had a positive recruiter experience lol this random Indian woman slid into my LinkedIn DMs to see if I was interested in working for her client (ended up being a FAANG company). Did two interviews, and got the job.

I just got my contract extended a year, but I’m ready for a more permanent gig

Ugo Ogugwa

Neega Wotsssss
Supporter
Daps
I call Bullshyt

I've been closely monitoring the job market and trends for the last two years and trist me these companies have they're head completely up their asses with these expectations

hell I just had an interview today where these MF didnt even know what the fukk they were interviewing for. they came in Attempting to grill me with these fast rapid fire questions and expectations and I had to explain what the talent acquistion lady explained about the role.

all these senior level Microsoft MVP type cacs with vastly different expectation for what they are looking for in a candidate. One guy is looking for "migration to the cloud" the the 2nd guy is looking for a VMware Architect, and the other is talking all this Rest API shyt, when the role mentioned nothing about any of these things. I was contacted because they wanted to build a VDI(VMware) team from the ground up and were looking for level 2 guys who had experience in implementing solutions and doing daily support.

I originally applied for the company 3 weeks ago and they "Canceled" the position 2 days before my interview, only for them to turn around and reach back out to me for essentially the same position.

They dont seem to know what the fukk they are doing in the hiring process and they most likely will cancel the position again, fukk'em

You rambling

ⓑⓞⓝ ⓑⓞⓝ

A Magical Thing ✨
Daps
Hi
This happened at my work. I started a little over a year ago. They even gave some of us a raise when people were quitting. Then had to still hire people and now people are getting fired. 🙁
My department is one of the few that are safe for now.

JLova

Veteran
Daps
Hi
This happened at my work. I started a little over a year ago. They even gave some of us a raise when people were quitting. Then had to still hire people and now people are getting fired. 🙁
My department is one of the few that are safe for now.
Yup. That's why I always laughed at the whole "crisis" thing. A lot of these companies overhired/overpaid and now are now hitting eject because of course they are more reactionary than anything.

Expect a lot of this. Many companies that overhired are going to be laying people off. The startups with these big lofty valuations from last year....many will cut a lot of people or just go out of business. Many were not profitable but just kept burning the never ending supply of money. Now the tap was shut off and they're fukked.

Robert California

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TB
I'm staying right where I'm at.

I didn't trust a lot of these startups that were reaching out last year. They kept throwing around their Unicorn status and other bullshyt :hhh: but I realized that they were hiring trash people with barely any of experience and wanted me to be a part of the "team".

Not gonna lie, some of the opportunities looked :whoo: on paper, but I'm currently at a SaaS company making decent money. I'm already vested and work 60% remote with a ton of autonomy and job security.

To me, that's priceless. I get to live in Florida and work for a local tech company and don't have to worry about starting over.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When I started working in tech many years ago I was as eager as most of the folks in this thread about the prospect of making more, through changing of jobs. Experience forced me to realize unless u really need the money annnd the offer is so damn good annnnd u know it won’t be easy to replace u, sit ur ass down.

JLova

Veteran
Daps
When I started working in tech many years ago I was as eager as most of the folks in this thread about the prospect of making more, through changing of jobs. Experience forced me to realize unless u really need the money annnd the offer is so damn good annnnd u know it won’t be easy to replace u, sit ur ass down.

Sit your ass down and get replaced anyways so I’d remove the seniority nonsense. Unless you’re a respected decision maker your job is never safe. CEO, VP, director. I’ve seen them all go. While not likely, it’s possible.

So to me the things you need to consider before making the switch:

How much more money are you getting
Culture fit
Commute
Career advancement
The people you will be working for
Type of work you will be doing.
Work life balance and flexibility.

overall is this a great opportunity for you? If yes, go. If no, keep looking.

Just don’t let fear drive your decisions.