Tech workers abandoning the Bay Area for Miami and Houston

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Data shows tech workers moving to Miami — and fleeing San Francisco — during pandemic

Kim Hart of Axios broke down the data, which shows the Miami-Fort Lauderdale area with a year-to-year increase of more than 15% in the number of tech workers, based on locations listed in LinkedIn users’ profiles. That was the biggest net gain of any major city Axios analyzed.

The piece looked at data from February 2020 — just prior to the pandemic’s outset in the United States — through this March. Houston placed second with a more than 10% bump, followed by the Dallas-Forth Worth area at 8.6% and Philadelphia at 8.1%.

San Francisco, meanwhile, saw a nearly 35% decline year-over-year in tech workers, according to the Axios analysis.

My property value :banderas:

The cost of living :scust:

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
This is the type of study that would need to be peer reviewed. They combed through LinkedIn profiles to look at the location of tech workers but there wasn't any iny info if these simply were new accounts or an actual migration of workers. Basically they weren't explicit in the details of Thier methods

adexkola

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This is the type of study that would need to be peer reviewed. They combed through LinkedIn profiles to look at the location of tech workers but there wasn't any iny info if these simply were new accounts or an actual migration of workers. Basically they weren't explicit in the details of Thier methods

I'm sure we will see some good papers on this in a year or two. But an accurate analysis takes time.

JetFueledThoughts

Superstar
Daps
Lotta people in tech left California for Texas, specifically Austin and SA.

There’s definitely a movement goin down to Miami too, especially in the crypto and fintech community. Really anywhere the state taxes are low will be a place ripe for innovation, and Miami got the beach and exclusive money feel to it that will attract some of the Silicon Valley crowd.

adexkola

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Lotta people in tech left California for Texas, specifically Austin and SA.

There’s definitely a movement goin down to Miami too, especially in the crypto and fintech community. Really anywhere the state taxes are low will be a place ripe for innovation, and Miami got the beach and exclusive money feel to it that will attract some of the Silicon Valley crowd.

And empty condos :ehh:

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Covid could end up democratizing skilled work in a way that wasn't thought feasible previously.

I know that it's a Republican talking point to blame it on taxation, but in my (biased) opinion, the low cost of housing/living is the dealbreaker, and taxation is just icing on the cake that isn't the be all and end all.