Tenn. owes TSU half a $ Billion/*sent $250 mil for repairs & campus housing / *TSU board vacated, new appointees named

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

State May Owe TSU $500 Million
April 5, 2021
1A-TSU-678x381.jpg

NASHVILLE (WSMV) – The General Assembly’s Joint Land Grant Institution Funding Study Committee met Tuesday to further look at how much the state owes Tennessee State University, after decades of a state funding deficit.

Tuesday’s hearing revealed the deficit is approximately $544 million.

The committee was created after several lawmakers brought to the state’s attention that there was a deficit in Tennessee State University decades of Land Grant funding.

In the 1800’s, the federal government gave land to both TSU and UT to create and maintain colleges and universities for agriculture.

The funds were supposed to be matched by the state. UT received their matched state funding, but TSU did not, resulting in a shortage of funding around $544 million.

Representative Harold Love, the committee’s chairperson, is pushing for changes so the university can recoup those dollars.

“These numbers didn’t come out of the sky. These numbers were taken from the state budget books and one thing we know about the state budget is that if something is not in the budget as being funded it’s not funded,” said Rep. Love.

Dr. Glenda Glover, TSU president, attended the hearing. Glover says she’s glad the state is looking into it because the university had to make up for the funding in order to fund various initiatives.

She says there’s been past ills among Historically Black Colleges and Universities across the country when it comes to land grant matches.

“We could not recruit properly. There’s research dollars that we weren’t able to get and use. So we had to find a way to make ends meet without getting the dollars required to match,” said Dr. Glover.

The joint committee will hold more sessions in the summer to continue fine-tuning the exact dollar amount owed to TSU.
===================================
@BigAggieLean. @CoryMack @Originalman @xoxodede

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
is that $544M an adjusted for inflation total, or just the total cash amount over the course of 200 years?

i ain’t seen you post in a minute good to see you bredren

but you know damn well they not gon let us hit them with adjusted inflation and back money

the best hope is they figure a plan to throw them money over the next 10 years or so

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps

State May Owe TSU $500 Million
April 5, 2021
1A-TSU-678x381.jpg

NASHVILLE (WSMV) – The General Assembly’s Joint Land Grant Institution Funding Study Committee met Tuesday to further look at how much the state owes Tennessee State University, after decades of a state funding deficit.

Tuesday’s hearing revealed the deficit is approximately $544 million.

The committee was created after several lawmakers brought to the state’s attention that there was a deficit in Tennessee State University decades of Land Grant funding.

In the 1800’s, the federal government gave land to both TSU and UT to create and maintain colleges and universities for agriculture.

The funds were supposed to be matched by the state. UT received their matched state funding, but TSU did not, resulting in a shortage of funding around $544 million.

Representative Harold Love, the committee’s chairperson, is pushing for changes so the university can recoup those dollars.

“These numbers didn’t come out of the sky. These numbers were taken from the state budget books and one thing we know about the state budget is that if something is not in the budget as being funded it’s not funded,” said Rep. Love.

Dr. Glenda Glover, TSU president, attended the hearing. Glover says she’s glad the state is looking into it because the university had to make up for the funding in order to fund various initiatives.

She says there’s been past ills among Historically Black Colleges and Universities across the country when it comes to land grant matches.

“We could not recruit properly. There’s research dollars that we weren’t able to get and use. So we had to find a way to make ends meet without getting the dollars required to match,” said Dr. Glover.

The joint committee will hold more sessions in the summer to continue fine-tuning the exact dollar amount owed to TSU.
===================================
@BigAggieLean. @CoryMack @Originalman @xoxodede

All of our state funded HBCU’s should be doing something similar, cause TSU wasn’t the only HBCU done this way.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
All of our state funded HBCU’s should be doing something similar, cause TSU wasn’t the only HBCU done this way.
Yep. You and Originalman schooled me on this topic when we've discussed HBCU state schools before.

The scandals/tomfoolery that goes on in colleges get reported extensively, as it should. State governments shortchanging HBCUs or railroading them should be covered just as extensively. Was happy to see the Maryland schools get some of the money they sued for after all those years of fighting in court. Will track this story until TSU gets the funding that the state was obliged to send them.

When you think of the amount they were robbed of, and how the school had to scramble and shift money to make up for it, have that much more respect for the leadership at that school during those decades.

Nasty_Nate

Each one, teach one...
Daps
Reppin
State government has been fukking over TSU for decades. I remember the state forcing some bullshyt on them back in the 90’s to meet some ridiculous quota of White enrollment, although the same standards weren’t applied to PWIs in Tennessee. There were White kids I went to high school with getting full scholarships to TSU with barely a 2.5 GPA, while the homie who had well over a 3.0 couldn’t get enough scholarship money to fully fund his education and had to work full time at Burger King.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
Yep. You and Originalman schooled me on this topic when we've discussed HBCU state schools before.

The scandals/tomfoolery that goes on in colleges get reported extensively, as it should. State governments shortchanging HBCUs or railroading them should be covered just as extensively. Was happy to see the Maryland schools get some of the money they sued for after all those years of fighting in court. Will track this story until TSU gets the funding that the state was obliged to send them.

When you think of the amount they were robbed of, and how the school had to scramble and shift money to make up for it, have that much more respect for the leadership at that school during those decades.

It’s all of the state funded schools. For decades PV had to let their football program go to shyt because of how the A&M system was doing them. I mean years and years and years of getting drug on the gridiron because they had to choose between campus improvements or improving athletics and that was an easy choice. Lotta us who may have stayed in-state to play at a Black school never even considered PV cause you knew it would be four years of 0-11 seasons. But for the longest PV has been one of the best looking HBCU’s in terms of the overall campus.

I know what it was at SCSU and I’ve heard similar stories from friends who’ve attended other Black schools.

Years ago a buncha retired presidents from Black colleges did a symposium on some of the issues surrounding our schools and corruption was alluded to but wasn’t said outright. I’ll try to find it and repost it.

Daps
Btw all HBCU’s should be mandated to spend their money on 90% black owned businesses and contractors.

meaning lawn care, cafeterias, IT, security, heating plumbing, electrical, ETC

These schools are small cities they generate millions, that money should be targeted to black owned companies otherwise it’s just being wasted.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
i ain’t seen you post in a minute good to see you bredren

but you know damn well they not gon let us hit them with adjusted inflation and back money

the best hope is they figure a plan to throw them money over the next 10 years or so

back from a deployment.

but if that's the case, there should also be a survey into just how much TSU has potentially missed out on if they had received that $544M over the course of time.

that's over 100 + years of missed opportunity

invalid

Banned
Daps
Dr. Glover looks EXACTLY like my aunt.

She's also the president of the AKAs. Don't know how she has time to do both. Her productivity must be on a hundredleventhousand.

and how the school had to scramble and shift money to make up for it

And then they will accuse the schools of misdirecting funds.