Daps
In my opinion (no order)

Magic
Jordan
LeBron
Bird
Kobe
This is the list.

For older generations, obviously Jordan. Then Magic and Bird will be on all of their lists as well.

Younger generations all know Kobe and LeBron.

The next cut would be Curry, Shaq (was huge in the 90s but his popularity waned a bit as his career did and he team hopped) and Iverson.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This is the list.

For older generations, obviously Jordan. Then Magic and Bird will be on all of their lists as well.

Younger generations all know Kobe and LeBron.

The next cut would be Curry, Shaq (was huge in the 90s but his popularity waned a bit as his career did and he team hopped) and Iverson.
I think I’d have Iverson as sixth. He is the 2Pac of the NBA to a lot of people.

If Kareem and AI were both in a room who would people recognize faster?
Recognition isn’t the same as popularity. Kareem isn’t that well-liked.

Daps
I think guys are absolutely right here with MJ, LeBron, Kobe, Shaq, Magic, AI/Curry.

I do think an unsung hero of this very thread topic could be Dr. J. Dude had an UNREAL mystique when I was a kid. The league itself wasn't as popular, but Julius was god amongst people who played or watched the game.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
No because not everyone buys jerseys. It’s mostly little kids

I doubt that. You think LeBron's Laker jersey shot to #1 this year because little kids were so excited about him switching teams?

And even if it were true, little kids just reflexively follow the most popular player, so it would still be a good measure of popularity.