The Act of Trading

K-O-B

Management
Daps
Reppin
Back in Mass!
For me, trading is the most frustrating part when it comes to fantasy sports. I love to trade, I'd trade my whole team three times if I could, I just can't sit still. But not everyone shares these sentiments, mostly out of fear. Here are some ways you can change this.

You need to build a culture. Building a culture is one of the hardest aspects to tackle, and may take awhile. You need to have a trade friendly atmosphere, where people understand trading isn't about winning or losing, rather to make everyone better. Normally teams will have a surplus at one position where they can move some players for another team with a surplus.

Respond to all trades in a timely manner. Nothing ticks me off more then waiting a week for someone to respond, especially after a team adds someone off free agency. You logged on, just reject my trade if you don't like it! But don't be mad if someone rejects your trade, even if it was the best deal ever. I've seen many fights happen in leagues where people get pressured into moves one way or another. Everyone needs to respect each other.

The number one rule I follow when it comes to making a trade is knowing that to get good players you need to give up good players. Don't waste people's time with low ball offers. I understand the theory of starting low, but your just going to irritate someone so much that they will not take you seriously. You do not want to make your trading partner mad.

Hopefully your in a league where everyone takes it just as serious as you do. When you have that, it's a fun league where everyone is active. Trades are flowing and people are winning. Make sure your not that guy. If you try to "win" your trades all the time, people just won't deal with you anymore because they will think they're getting screwed. Lose a little.

NamelessPimp

Legend
Daps
Reppin
Everyday the Sun Comes Up
I always like to message people I'm trading them or get them into the League Chat (another reason why I like CBS). It avoids any low ball offers and gets straight to the point. I just pulled off one trade in my football league. I gave up Jamaal Charles and Pierre Garcon for Reggie Bush and Mike Wallace. My line-up now looks like:
QB- Big Ben
RB- McCoy, Reggie Bush
WR- Andre Johnson, Hakeem Nicks
RB/WR- Beanie Wells
Bench- Mike Wallace, Jahvid Best, Kevin Smith, Ryan Turbin, Jake Locker

I did it because of the question marks with JC and the fact I have him on another team. And I had a lot of injury question marks. This helps ease the stress. I have the chance at 3 top 10 WRs as well.

K-O-B

Management
Daps
Reppin
Back in Mass!
I like to make big trades. 3 for 3, 4 for 4, just monstrosity of a trade. I love when the person I'm trading with just beats themselves up. Like I said, you gotta give up good players to get good players. So when they start looking it over they don't want to because of the players involved, but when they see what I'm giving them they just go crazy.

These are my favorite trades, especially when I can go through their thinking process. They always end up win-win. But so few people have the balls to actually go through with it.

K-O-B

Management
Daps
Reppin
Back in Mass!
I always like to message people I'm trading them or get them into the League Chat (another reason why I like CBS). It avoids any low ball offers and gets straight to the point. I just pulled off one trade in my football league. I gave up Jamaal Charles and Pierre Garcon for Reggie Bush and Mike Wallace. My line-up now looks like:
QB- Big Ben
RB- McCoy, Reggie Bush
WR- Andre Johnson, Hakeem Nicks
RB/WR- Beanie Wells
Bench- Mike Wallace, Jahvid Best, Kevin Smith, Ryan Turbin, Jake Locker

I did it because of the question marks with JC and the fact I have him on another team. And I had a lot of injury question marks. This helps ease the stress. I have the chance at 3 top 10 WRs as well.

Like Big Ben? He's always playing at 80%. "It's either a *leg* thing or a *spiritual* thing, or a *psychological* thing, or a *heart attack*! "

NamelessPimp

Legend
Daps
Reppin
The bigger trades definitely put pressure on teams. I knew the guy really wanted Charles and was low on Bush. I really like Bush this year and definitely had to go grab him. Add on the fact I get Mike Wallace and it was an easy call for me.

I agree with losing in trades at times. If it fills a need and you have a surplus it definitely works and keeps other managers active in trading with you.

And yes, Big Ben. Before the news of the his shoulder I thought he'd thrive in Haley's new offense. He has a lot of weapons and I don't see Isaac Redman making a big impact. The running game could be minimal for the Steelers this year.

K-O-B

Management
Daps
Reppin
Back in Mass!
The bigger trades definitely put pressure on teams. I knew the guy really wanted Charles and was low on Bush. I really like Bush this year and definitely had to go grab him. Add on the fact I get Mike Wallace and it was an easy call for me.

I agree with losing in trades at times. If it fills a need and you have a surplus it definitely works and keeps other managers active in trading with you.

And yes, Big Ben. Before the news of the his shoulder I thought he'd thrive in Haley's new offense. He has a lot of weapons and I don't see Isaac Redman making a big impact. The running game could be minimal for the Steelers this year.

But that's Steeler's football!

K-O-B

Management
Daps
Reppin
Back in Mass!
Also want to mention quality over quantity. It was one of the first lessons I learned when I first started playing when I was 12 in 1999. I thought I was being smart in offer a 3 for 1 or a 4 for 1 deal (Hey all those guys add up to the stud!).

There is a reason why I have the guys on the bench, and there are 10 more guys on the waiver wire that I want to pick up. So, I really hate dropping people after trades. I'm more then willing to make a trade and have an open spot afterwards to add one of the 10 guys I want though. But the other guys on my bench, whether it's true or not or something I simply beleive in, those players have huge value.

Plus, those three players may add to that one, but what are the odds they are all gonig to start? I'm sure there are other players on the team that have more value then the players I'm getting in return. Your trade has no value to me if I can't start someone.

One of my favorite ways to kill a negotiation or make it pick up is by asking: Would you start " " over " "? Most times the answer is no, and that is when talks can become real and useful.

NamelessPimp

Legend
Daps
Reppin
Also want to mention quality over quantity. It was one of the first lessons I learned when I first started playing when I was 12 in 1999. I thought I was being smart in offer a 3 for 1 or a 4 for 1 deal (Hey all those guys add up to the stud!).

There is a reason why I have the guys on the bench, and there are 10 more guys on the waiver wire that I want to pick up. So, I really hate dropping people after trades. I'm more then willing to make a trade and have an open spot afterwards to add one of the 10 guys I want though. But the other guys on my bench, whether it's true or not or something I simply beleive in, those players have huge value.

Plus, those three players may add to that one, but what are the odds they are all gonig to start? I'm sure there are other players on the team that have more value then the players I'm getting in return. Your trade has no value to me if I can't start someone.

One of my favorite ways to kill a negotiation or make it pick up is by asking: Would you start " " over " "? Most times the answer is no, and that is when talks can become real and useful.

Thats whats tough about bench players, you always need to find someone who values the player. A starter, will always be serviceable on any team. If I find a guy who likes one of my bench players I usually try to get him to overpay.

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
yeah cbs is great for league chats when the trade deadline comes. im kind of lazy trying to find good matches so its good when you can chat with a potential trade partner and hash out the details. i hope yahoo adds that feature someday soon

NamelessPimp

Legend
Daps
Reppin
yeah cbs is great for league chats when the trade deadline comes. im kind of lazy trying to find good matches so its good when you can chat with a potential trade partner and hash out the details. i hope yahoo adds that feature someday soon

Thats why I was hoping to have our Coli leagues at CBS. that way we have the league chat option. we could def make this dope.

K-O-B

Management
Daps
Reppin
Back in Mass!
Thats whats tough about bench players, you always need to find someone who values the player. A starter, will always be serviceable on any team. If I find a guy who likes one of my bench players I usually try to get him to overpay.

I always try to do smaller moves early for potential sleepers on people's benches hoping they don't value them. Never really works outs though. I always get the "I want to see what I have before trading."

NamelessPimp

Legend
Daps
Reppin
I always try to do smaller moves early for potential sleepers on people's benches hoping they don't value them. Never really works outs though. I always get the "I want to see what I have before trading."

Ya absolutely. You just gotta wait for a manager to get bored and wanna trade someone at that point. I always enjoy trading sleepers for sleepers though preseason.

K-O-B

Management
Daps
Reppin
Back in Mass!
Ya absolutely. You just gotta wait for a manager to get bored and wanna trade someone at that point. I always enjoy trading sleepers for sleepers though preseason.

My league's aren't very trade happy. Everyone's afraid to make a bad move. In my main football league, three people trade and we just swap teams.