The American Problems and Solutions in Regards to Public Safety and Society at Large

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high

Three weeks after 17 people were gunned down in 2018 inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., then-Florida Gov. Rick Scott, R, signed into law a bill that included provisions banning weapons sales to those younger than 21, imposing a three-day waiting period on most long-gun purchases, and creating a “red flag” law allowing authorities to confiscate weapons from people deemed to constitute a public threat.

The NRA’s powerful leader in the state, Marion P. Hammer, condemned Republicans backing the bill as “betrayers.” But 75 out of 99 GOP lawmakers voted for it anyway, and Scott - who was preparing to seek a U.S. Senate seat - signed it, calling the bill full of “common-sense solutions.” Other provisions of the bill included $400 million for mental health and school security programs, and an initiative, fiercely opposed by Democrats, that would allow teachers and school staff to be trained as armed “guardians.”

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Some of the back and forth begins here

Regardless of how either side politically and socially feel about the other acting in good faith in dialogue or negotiations, it's clear that both sides agree something has to be done and common ground has to be found so it's in everyones best interest to take each others position seriously on this matter, regardless of how much you vehemently disagree with it.

Even if the agreement is minor, some sort of change is necessary at this point and frankly was way before this point
100%. I've always been in a fairly small crowd that's been the progressive/leftist gun owner crowd. I've been pretty strong on 2a up to now, but after this past month fukk it. I'm open to sacrificing some of my 2a rights if it helps even a little bit the insane mass shooting problem that we have in the United States. Guns are clearly at least a part of the problem.

Another thing that frustrates me with the gun crowd is that all the conservative 2a folks that always talk about it being a mental health problem (which I don't totally disagree with) are folks that generally don't give a fukk about expanding medical rights in this country. Conservatives aren't voting for medicare, or better mental health coverage, etc. So it's super disingenuous to me when they talk about how it should be treated as a mental health problem.

Whole lotta lip service.