The Coen Brothers Set to Reunite for Upcoming Horror Film

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]

Last Friday, “Drive Away Dolls” filmmakers Ethan Coen and Tricia Cooke lead a Master Class “in conversation” with film critics Kaleem Aftab, this was an event set up by the Tromso International Film Festival in Norway.

Now, as you know, Joel and Ethan Coen haven’t collaborated on a new film since 2018’s “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.” They are one of the great living American filmmakers, and we miss them dearly. However, it looks as though a new film is coming …

At the Masterclass in Norway, Ethan confirmed that he and brother Joel have already written a new script together, and that the plan is for them to direct it very soon:

It's a pure horror film, and it gets very bloody. If you like Blood Simple, I think you'll enjoy it.
Cooke added that it is also "horribly funny". All the preparations are done, but Joel may have to finish another project first. It isn’t out of the question that a production start on this one might happen before the year is done.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Cooke added that it is also "horribly funny". All the preparations are done, but Joel may have to finish another project first. It isn’t out of the question that a production start on this one might happen before the year is done.

:francis:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
When I first read "horribly funny" in the article, I was instantly reminded of what happened to Brad Pitt's character in 'Burn After Reading'. I'd be more weirded out if there wasn't some semblance of dark comedy in a Coen project.

Yeah, I just remember how hyped I was when I read that Jarmusch was doing a zombie movie only to find out it was a comedy. I'd really like some of these big name directors to bring their signature (minus the comedy for those concerned) to actual horror movies. Like a Tarantino, Wes Anderson, Nolan, Villeneuve REAL horror movie could be amazing (I know it's never happening, I'm just ranting lol).

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
comedy in horror is as bad as CGI in horror :scust:
When it's not done right, maybe. Films like Get Out, Scream ('96), and The Cabin in the Woods blend it really well through their twists on the usual horror tropes and sprinkled in social commentary. Really don't think it's a bad thing here as it seems to be the Coens' bread and butter. Even 'No Country for Old Men', as bleak as that film got, still had those subtle moments of comedy.