The Decline in Musical Lyricism is Depressing - A Coli Dissertation

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
R&B isn't a wrap, major labels having direct control over R&B is a wrap.
This is something I'm fine with TBH.

It was long overdue for R&B to get the indie Hip-Hop treatment.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I really think the death of lyricism can be attributed in large part to the reign of 50 Cent and the South takeover...how you wanna divvy up responsibility is up to you, lol, but I think that 1 2 combo back to back really got rapping rapping the fluck up outta here. Of course there are exceptions, I'm just speaking generally. Swag/Image has always been important in hip hop, since it's inception...it's just that now them things are like 95% of what makes you appealing to rap fans, shyt is gross...I don't care how cool you seem, if you dirt you still dirt, you aint THAT cool, lol, I aint checkin for no dirt.

Yep. Like I said in the Nas "God's Son" thread, 2002 was the swan song of the super lyrical rap era. 2003 and afterwards, it was all about image, gimmicks, beats, hooks, and bytches.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Rap music mirrors the hood (and/or vice versa) usually. Back in the day when you had the pro-black political cats in the hood mixed in with the G’s and hustlers….mixed in with the regular, everyday dudes…mixed in with the cool ladies man dudes…mixed in with the 5-percenters, etc… the music reflected that…you had representation of all that in the music, and not just existing but actually thriving and being on the radio and tv all getting played together, there was a myriad of colors.

Nowadays the hood/music is just mostly demonic wicked energy and being as ignorant as possible. It’s just all one color for the most part. The lyricism itself has fallen too but more importantly it’s just the energy and content, shyt is like all wicked all the time now.

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When yall say shyt like this. I get the vibes that yall don't interact with ANYONE black in their 20s. So many of them listen to a wide swathe of HipHop and Neo-soul.