THE END OF THE FILIBUSTER watch thread

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Edit:

I'ma try to keep all the news of the demise of the filibuster in this thread.

That shyt gotta be dead or the Dems' agenda is doomed.

-----------

Currently, Senators filibuster bills by simply declaring their intent.

At that point, the Senate has a Cloture vote, which needs 60 votes to override the "filibuster".

Instead of asking Manchin et al. to vote to change the Cloture vote threshold...why not just call their bluffs on the filibuster? Is there a rule that says they must have a Cloture vote? I haven't seen anyone say that there is.

Make Senators stand there and talk for 24 - 48hrs.. They'll tucker out eventually and we'll pass some legislation.

Strom Thurmond spoke for a long ass time but he didn't stop the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1957.

Civil Rights Act of 1957 - Wikipedia

Last edited:

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
Dems have gone from defending the filibuster to wanting it abolished/or sidestepped :pachaha:

Edit:

In 2005, when then-Republican Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., sought to eliminate the filibuster, Democrats called it the "nuclear option." Schumer declared such a move would turn the "United States Senate — everything all of us have worked for and worked in — into a legislative wasteland."

Last edited:

Hood Critic

The Power Circle
Daps
Reppin
דעת
Dems have gone from defending the filibuster to wanting it abolished/or sidestepped :pachaha:

Edit:

In 2005, when then-Republican Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., sought to eliminate the filibuster, Democrats called it the "nuclear option." Schumer declared such a move would turn the "United States Senate — everything all of us have worked for and worked in — into a legislative wasteland."
What's the source and context of this?

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
This reform, if crafted after proposals recently popularized by Norman Ornstein and Adam Jentleson, would flip the burden from the majority party needing to find sixty votes to the minority party needing to maintain both a speaker at the lectern and forty-one senators on the floor at all times. Gone would be the ability to shut down deliberation on a bill with a simple email from a staffer; senators would now have to talk, talk, and talk some more to even begin to circumvent majority rule in the chamber. There’s a reason why such speak-a-thons were rarely deployed and virtually never successful before 1975: they don’t work if the majority is truly committed to passing the bill in question.

To Win Labor Law Reform Like the PRO Act, We Must Scrap the Filibuster

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
What's the source and context of this?

The maneuver was brought to prominence in 2005 when Majority Leader Bill Frist (Republican of Tennessee) threatened its use to end Democratic-led filibusters of judicial nominees submitted by President George W. Bush. In response to this threat, Democrats threatened to shut down the Senate and prevent consideration of all routine and legislative Senate business. The ultimate confrontation was prevented by the Gang of 14, a group of seven Democratic and seven Republican Senators, all of whom agreed to oppose the nuclear option and oppose filibusters of judicial nominees, except in extraordinary circumstances. Several of the blocked nominees were brought to the floor, voted upon and approved as specified in the agreement, and others were dropped and did not come up for a vote, as implied by the agreement.