The Farewell (A24) - All-Asian cast starring Awkwafina (100% on RT)

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I loved this film so goddamn much. Outside of an irreplaceable authenticness (I know that's not a real word but it captures my feelings better than authenticity) to the characters and setting, there is this amazingly great sense of humor that is in your face but at the same time kind of subtle. Like it constantly jokes about elements of Chinese culture but not in a mocking way, more in an embrace of the weirdness of a strange culture.

One of the best scenes is the awkward dinner where they compare America and China and it's really a family argument that slowly spins out of control while everybody desperately tries to keep things positive for the grandmom.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I thought I made a post about this. :dahell:

This movie is phenomenal. One of the few I’ve seen this year that I thought of highly.

The grandmom should get an Oscar nomination, imo. Underrated was the sister too (who is the real sister)

Jefe Blanco

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Great movie. I’m assuming
the grandma dies? The movie started off saying this was based on a lie, the family altered her lab results, so I assume the picture in the end saying she’s still alive six years later is also a lie?

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
Great movie. I’m assuming
the grandma dies? The movie started off saying this was based on a lie, the family altered her lab results, so I assume the picture in the end saying she’s still alive six years later is also a lie?
Nah...

the real grandmom is actually still alive. They even had to lie about the movie to avoid her seeing it since she'd find out the truth. :dead: