The former host of ‘Reading Rainbow’ used to encourage kids to read books. Now he’s telling adults not to ban them

Neuromancer

American Daydream Machine
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
As the National Book Awards came to a close on Wednesday, finalists for the prestigious literary prizes took the stage in New York to speak about the Israel-Hamas war, with others at the ceremony also choosing to address banned books.

Aaliyah Bilal, who was nominated for the fiction award for her short story collection “Temple Folk,” read from a prepared statement as a group of fellow finalists stood around her.

“On behalf of the finalists, we oppose the ongoing bombardment of Gaza and call for an humanitarian ceasefire to address the urgent humanitarian needs of Palestinian civilians, particularly children,” Bilal said at the ceremony.

We oppose antisemitism and anti-Palestinian sentiment and Islamophobia equally, accepting the human dignity of all parties, knowing that further bloodshed does nothing to secure lasting peace in the region.”

Some audience members in the room responded with a standing ovation. But the authors’ coordinated statement also underscored tensions within the literary community — upon learning that a group of awards finalists planned to make a statement about the war, two sponsors decided not to attend the ceremony, The New York Times reported.

Zibby Owens, owner of Zibby Media, wrote in a Substack essay ahead of the ceremony that her company decided to withdraw its support and attendance after she learned the authors planned to “collectively band together to use their speeches to promote a pro-Palestinian, anti-Israeli agenda.” She added that she felt the event would promote discrimination against Israel and the Jewish people.

The subscription service Book of the Month, which remained a sponsor, told CNN in a statement that it did not attend the ceremony, but continued to support the event.

It’s not unusual for political statements to feature at the National Book Awards, as the National Book Foundation noted in its own statement ahead of the event.

Aside from the finalists’ comments about the Israel-Hamas war, several speakers and authors used their platforms at the awards ceremony to address efforts to ban books in US schools and libraries.

LeVar Burton, a children’s author and former host of the iconic TV program “Reading Rainbow,” emceed the awards ceremony and opened with a joke.

“Before we get going, are there any Moms for Liberty in the house?” he asked, referring to a conservative group behind recent attempts to remove certain books from school shelves. “No? Good. Then hands will not need to be thrown tonight.”

In his opening speech, Burton alluded to the climate in which book banning attempts are taking place.

“It was my mother who taught me at a very young age that if you can read in at least one language, you are, by her definition, free. And that idea of freedom feels especially fraught in this global political moment,” he said. “There are wars and rumors of wars and the machineries of war at work. On the home front, we are fighting for control of truth and how we interpret truth in this country. Books are being banned, words are being silenced and writers and others who champion books are under attack. “

Loggie

All Star
Daps
I wouldn’t say I’m conflicted. I just got back to Atlanta a few days ago. I woke up this morning and watched the local news. The white part of Atlanta banned a book.

I figured it was some trans book but I was more of a BLM type book. I don’t know the name. If you ban one book for whatever reason, why couldn’t you ban another book? If the book is about Christ like figures or satanic figures, who is the state, county, city to decide what should or shouldn’t be available to its people.

Education starts at home, school indoctrinates our children. It is up to you to tell them your family beliefs and values and your children will end up deciding what’s for them.

That being said, I hate drill music and anything associated with the killing of black “ops”. That type music shouldn’t be on public airwaves. I would support any group that would lead to not supporting these radio stations that play that type of music. That’s another discussion.

All books should be available for public consumption. It’s up to the people to decide if that type of entertainment is for them.

Last edited:

Pazzy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They literally trying to dumb down the masses seriously. They got a war against knowledge and smart people. Theyre elevating stupidity and rewarding it too.