THE LAST BLACK MAN IN SAN FRANCISCO (2019)

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
This was an interesting movie. A lot of great commentary about the boxes we put ourselves into and the boxes we create for others, especially around race, family, and masculinity. Had some great symbolism and discussion about gentrification and property rights. Pacing was a little off for me. But the overall movie was really poignant and different. I think they could have shaved maybe 15 minutes off and made it tighter but overall I'd give it a 8 out of 10.

TheJet

Superstar
Daps
Living in gentrified Brooklyn, I def felt the violation of white people moving in and taking your shyt. Great symbolism. Raw emotion. Good film overall

b_b

All Star
Supporter
Daps
This movie was one of the more interesting and engaging films I have seen in a very mutherfukkin long time. Loved how the shots either made you feel claustrophobic or tiny depending on the scene. All the characters on screen treated with a kind of respect like the director is legit friends with all of em which made the message from Mont about still liking or having compassion for people even if they can be dikkheads, a real powerful message. Love seeing closeup shots on regular ass black folks especially because it feels like admiration in the way it's shot if that makes any sense.

For me the highest point is how it handles growing up and seeing your personal history with a place or neighborhood get overwritten. One day a lot of us finna be in the same pridicament with gentrification taking what history we got (if it ain't already happened) in our homes and our neighborhoods not being what they were.

One of the few movies that has stuck with me after watching it. 9/10 just a little too long in some parts. I caught the bootleg of this and I legit felt bad I did which is fukkin rare lmao . When that bluray release I'm copping it off the strength of how much I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Champagne Sharks podcast discussed this film.