The Top Exports and Imports of each State

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Looks like the Military Industrial Complex is putting in a lot of work.

Also good to see that we're manufacturing quite a bit, between airplanes and cars...

HD_Every-State-Top-Export_Map_1200px.png

Mapped: The Top U.S. Exports by State​

The U.S. exported over $1.3 trillion in goods in 2020, the second-highest amount worldwide.

While refined petroleum was the top export overall at $58.4 billion, aircraft exports were actually the highest across 14 states—more than any other form of export.

This infographic from OnDeck shows America’s top exports by state, using January 2022 data from the U.S. Census Bureau.

America’s Top Exports, by Category​

As shown below, Florida, Kansas, and numerous other states all have aircraft (and related parts) as their top export.

While the vast majority of the aerospace and defense industry consists of civil aerospace exports, America has also played a significant role in exports of military aircraft. Between 2000-2020, these were worth $99.6 billion, the highest in the world ahead of Russia’s $61.5 billion in military exports. This becomes less surprising when you consider that a new fighter jet can often come with a $100 million price tag.

But there were many different, and more interesting, exports. South Dakota’s top export is none other than brewing dregs, which is the sediment found in brewing beer. The largest importers of these dregs are Mexico, Vietnam, and South Korea. Often, dregs are sold to farmers for use in animal feed.

Meanwhile, the top export for Pennsylvania, Indiana, and Illinois is medicine, while North Carolina has vaccines and antibodies as a top export. In 2020, the U.S. exported over $46 billion in goods critical to combating COVID-19, the second-highest after China ($105 billion).

As the largest exporter of oil in America, Texas produces over 5 million barrels of oil each day, or 1.7 billion annually. Mississippi’s top export was also petroleum, while light oil was the top export in Minnesota and North Dakota. Overall, oil makes up roughly 10% of U.S. exports annually.

The Most Unique Exports, by State​

While oil, medicine, and aircraft are the usual suspects for America’s top exports, here are the most idiosyncratic exports for each state. These are defined as those which are exported by the smallest number of other states.

Americas Top Exports

High-resolution version
Arkansas is the top exporter of rice in America, with the industry valued at $722 million. The rice industry in Arkansas began to grow substantially in the early 1900s, and expanded even more rapidly during World War I & II.

New York, on the other hand, exports more sculptures than any other state thanks to being the epicenter of the art world. The U.S. exported over $12 billion in art and antiques in 2019.

Lobster is the most unique export in Maine, known for its characteristically large claws. The north coast of Maine offers cool waters which lend themselves to more tender and sweeter lobster fare.

Finally, Massachusetts exports quahog pearls, known for their uneven texture and mosaic pattern, found across Cape Cod.

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
damn, Maine really is putting in work on lobster :wow:

definitely expected something in agriculture for california, cars is surprising given everyone talks about "the cost of labor"

edit: the shytty state of florida's #1 export is 💩 :mjlol:
that's florida's most "unique" export.

aircraft being #1 for so many red states is kinda ironic since it's the govt teet that they are sucking on. at least we know washington state is boeing.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
that's florida's most "unique" export.

aircraft being #1 for so many red states is kinda ironic since it's the govt teet that they are sucking on. at least we know washington state is boeing.
yea, i looked and saw it was unique, cuz some of these weren't making sense when i thought it was #1, but that makes it even more comical as that state finds unique ways to be ass :dead:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Blew my mind that California's top export was cars considering that California is also #1 in the nation in hardware, software, biotech, aerospace, advanced manufacturing, media, hospitality, higher education, and agriculture. And #3 in oil.

Like a lot of the shyt that other states have as their #1 export, California is probably exporting more of that than they are too. I can't really think of anything California doesn't make.

Cali economy is wild.