The University of Georgia Had a Mass Slave Grave Discovered Recently

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Fast recap

UGA discovered a mass grave on their campus and had a bullshyt memorial. Black people of Athens are demanding some sort of restitution and investigation. The Black students at UGA are demanding some sort of restitution and an indepth investigation.

The UGA president said "No."

What UGA did to piss Black people off was consult the the racist power structure of Georgia on what to do instead of consulting Black people of Athens. Next, they put the remains of these slaves in a historically White slave owner cemetery. when there is historical cemetery that are full of slaves and their relatives.

About the memorial and discovery of the remains
https://www.onlineathens.com/news/2...-to-slaves-whose-remains-were-found-on-campus

The Black Community's response to the actions of UGA
https://www.onlineathens.com/local-...handling-baldwin-hall-remains-faces-criticism

The UGA's President Morehead response to the criticism
https://www.redandblack.com/opinion...cle_b7071748-5c81-11e9-8680-5bcc316bd8ca.html

While I am disappointed, I am not surprised by the wildly inaccurate claims made in the letter submitted to my office yesterday by a small group of local activists. The University of Georgia handled the Baldwin Hall matter appropriately, and our response actually went far beyond what is required by the law. However, it is clear that a few individuals, obviously driven by a personal agenda, continue to try to leverage this issue and expand it to promote their own causes.

Let me restate, for the record, that once the first remains were discovered on the construction site in November 2015, we immediately contacted the appropriate authorities. We followed the guidance of the State Archaeologist’s Office in every step of the process, including selection of Oconee Hill Cemetery as the site for reinternment. We hired an external archaeological consultant to perform the work in an appropriate manner, and we also sponsored faculty research to learn more about the individuals whose remains were discovered.

We held a respectful memorial service for the community in March 2017, during which a prominent federal judge and local minister provided heartfelt remarks of remembrance. We commemorated the gravesite with a granite marker and provided funding to ensure its perpetual maintenance.

In 2018, I commissioned a broad-based task force of community and campus leaders, led by Dr. Michelle Cook, UGA’s Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion and Strategic University Initiatives, to develop a memorial to further honor the individuals whose remains were discovered on the Baldwin Hall site. The 18 members of this task force carefully considered all aspects of the tribute. In November [2018], we dedicated this beautiful new monument in front of Baldwin Hall with a granite marker which reads in part: “The University of Georgia recognizes the contributions of these and other enslaved individuals and honors their legacy.” Since its dedication, the memorial has served on numerous occasions as a gathering place for reflection and remembrance.

As President of this institution, I know the University has done what is right and has treated the remains of the individuals at Baldwin Hall with dignity and respect. I am troubled that many dedicated individuals—who represent a broad diversity of perspectives and backgrounds—have been maligned and personally attacked for doing their jobs in a responsible manner.

Despite what some might claim, our faculty are free to pursue research of their choosing and to seek external grants for support. The libelous claim in the letter that I would ever have said, “The University does enough for Black students,” is equally preposterous. I care deeply about the University of Georgia, our faculty, staff and students, and I remain committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment for every member of our community.

We are in the midst of a fundraising campaign to benefit the institution, and we are actively raising funds for scholarships that meet legal requirements. While we are not permitted to provide race-based undergraduate scholarships, we have created 400 need-based Georgia Commitment Scholarships over the last two years. These scholarships are transforming lives across the state by enabling students with significant financial need the opportunity to attend the University.

Going forward—with the support of our governing board, the University System of Georgia Board of Regents—I will remain focused on advancing the mission of this institution as I have done tirelessly for the last six years.

Sincerely,

Jere W. Morehead
The Athens Black Community's Letter

Activists Deliver Letter to Morehead Demanding UGA Reparations for Slavery

slavery%20letter%202.jpg

Irami's Response