The World’s Most Popular Social Networks, and Who Owns Them (Facebook a monster)

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
SocialMediaGiants_OC_MainPost_Revised.jpg

The World’s Most Popular Social Networks, and Who Owns Them
Currently, there are over 4.5 billion people around the world who use some form of social media—about 57% of the global population.

Yet, while social media’s audience is widespread and diverse, just a handful of companies control a majority of the world’s most popular social media platforms. Meta, the tech giant formerly known as Facebook, owns four of the five most widely used platforms.

This graphic highlights the biggest social networks across the globe, measured by their monthly active users (MAUs).

Note: We’ll be using terms like “social network” and “social platform” interchangeably to refer to various messaging, video, and image-sharing platforms that have social attributes built in.

Top Social Platforms by Monthly Active Users
To measure each platform’s MAUs, we dug into various sources, including the most recent company SEC filings, and quarterly earnings reports.

A majority of Meta’s user base comes from its most popular platform, Facebook—the social media giant currently has around 2.9 billion MAUs worldwide.

Ranked: The World’s Most Popular Social Networks, and Who Owns Them

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Quora is the WOAT site and I wish I could ban it from my search results

Messenger being broken out as its own thing is fugazi #'s IMO - I'd wager 98% of its users are FB users. WhatsApp was its own thing and was used for a different purpose, but Messnger is/was how you send FB messages, I highly doubt non FB users are using that app on its own the way non FB users use WhatsApp
YouTube Shorts was the best idea from Google in a while. They should try to build off YT since it's already loved and popular vs. creating a new social media platform
Google doesn't need a legit social media app, they have so much data on us from maps, search YT, and email + basically monopolize search ad revenue. I also don't think they can successfully create one. No large company has successfully spun up new SM, they have all been new companies outright, a couple being acquired