This is how many millions the Fugees' cover of Killing Me Softly generated for original songwriter.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To Roberta Flack?
The rapper made an appearance on an episode of the 85 South Show published on Friday. During their conversation, Wyclef talked about how the 1996 Fugees hit “Killing Me Softly” generated seven figures for Lori Lieberman, who penned the original version.

According to the New York Times, Lieberman initially recorded “Killing Me Softly with His Song” in 1972 for her debut album at age 19. The song found success when Roberta Flack covered it in 1973. The Fugees released their version on the Grammy-winning debut album The Score.

According to the Washington Post, Lieberman didn’t get any songwriting credits nor a cut of the original publishing, which went solely to her former managers, Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel. Sadly, Lieberman did not see any of the financial compensation from the song’s renewed life through Roberta Flack’s nor the Fugees’ popular rendition.

“I have been called a liar,” Lieberman told WaPo in 2020. “And it feels terrible. It’s really for my own integrity and for the truth to come out.”

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The rapper made an appearance on an episode of the 85 South Show published on Friday. During their conversation, Wyclef talked about how the 1996 Fugees hit “Killing Me Softly” generated seven figures for Lori Lieberman, who penned the original version.

According to the New York Times, Lieberman initially recorded “Killing Me Softly with His Song” in 1972 for her debut album at age 19. The song found success when Roberta Flack covered it in 1973. The Fugees released their version on the Grammy-winning debut album The Score.

According to the Washington Post, Lieberman didn’t get any songwriting credits nor a cut of the original publishing, which went solely to her former managers, Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel. Sadly, Lieberman did not see any of the financial compensation from the song’s renewed life through Roberta Flack’s nor the Fugees’ popular rendition.

“I have been called a liar,” Lieberman told WaPo in 2020. “And it feels terrible. It’s really for my own integrity and for the truth to come out.”
:francis:Damn, that song been around the world and back for DECADES and she hasn't seen a penny since his original drop?

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:francis:Damn, that song been around the world and back for DECADES and she hasn't seen a penny since his original drop?
The article is not written clearly. I pasted those paragraphs from separate parts of the article.

Up top it says the song generated money for Lori. At the end it says she didn't get it and it went to her managers.

Whatever the truth is, it seems like none of the artists made as much money off that song as they should have.

I suppose what Wyclef (and Prince in other examples) have tried to tell artists is....you have to own your shyt. That's probably not a shock. But on this board at least, it bears repeating because the coli talks a lot about ownership and how that's the path to not only true wealth, but true power.