Tidal Becomes First Service to Offer “Master-Quality” Streaming, 96 kHz/24 bit

Discussion in 'The Booth' started by Larry Lobster, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Larry Lobster

Larry Lobster /-_-\

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Catch me in the safari zone
    Coli Cash:
    $483241.00

Tidal is now offering “master-quality audio recordings” to its highest-tiered subscribers, the company announced today. Tidal Masters is available at no extra cost to users who already have a Tidal HiFi subscription. Described as “an audio experience exactly as the artist intended,” Tidal Masters songs are streamed at 96 kHz/24 bit. (For comparison, HiFi audio’s resolution is 44.1 kHz/16 bit, and Spotify’s highest resolution is ~320 kbps, equivalent to Tidal’s Premium tier.)

Tidal has partnered with Master Quality Authenticated to provide the higher resolution audio. Currently, Tidal Masters is available only on desktop. Below, watch a video introducing Masters. Find the streaming company’s master-quality catalog, which includes music from Jay Z, Beyoncé, David Bowie, Madonna, Joni Mitchell, and more, here.

Several streaming platforms and record labels have also announced plans to offer high-resolution streaming, Billboard reports. At a Digital Entertainment Group-sponsored “Audio Pavilion” at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, three major labels (Universal, Sony, and Warner), the Recording Industry Association of America, and three streaming platforms (Pandora, Rhapsody/Napster, and HD Tracks) indicated that they would like to explore new high-resolution opportunities.

Read “The Year in Streaming 2016,” as well as our Cover Story “Station to Station: The Past, Present, and Future of Streaming Music.”

:leon:

DEAD7 dapped this.
  2. BrownSkin Intellect

BrownSkin Intellect Love Each Other, Never Jump To Hatred.

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Bucktown
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

This for audiophiles. That is this intended market.
    Do audiophiles not know the "artist" doesn't intend anything to sound a certain way, the producer does, I'm sure they know this.

DaveyDave and McPiff dapped this.
  3. Asicz

Asicz Presume the unpredictable

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $250500.00

4. CoCKy GeNiuS

CoCKy GeNiuS All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $308000.00

Hmmmmmmmm.

5. edzyy

edzyy All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NYC
    Coli Cash:
    $300000.00

Can't stream high res.

You Win Perfect dapped this.
  6. newworldafro

newworldafro DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    In the Silver Lining
    Coli Cash:
    $398107.45

What does this mean to us "regular" listeners? Is higher quality gone to open up our pineal gland and shiit or just ability to hear more nuanced sounds?:lupe:

Groovy Tony and KnickstapeCity dapped this.
  7. King Musa

King Musa Banned Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    South Florida
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

The average person with a pair of commercial headphones will hardly be able to tell the difference between master quality and average quality.

192kbits sounds exactly like 320kbits to most even though 320kbits is higher quality.....If you have knowledge of mixing than you'll be able to hear the differences right off.

8. BK The Great

BK The Great Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    BK NY
    Coli Cash:
    $100500.00

people really care about sound quality that much? got damn bruh, it's not not serious :hhh:

9. Paper Boi

Paper Boi Veteran Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $344655.00

this on iOS now :ehh:

10. Sammy Steez

Sammy Steez All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    MKE
    Coli Cash:
    $572627.35

I use hi-fi headphones at the office and the whip has surround sound so I’m excited Hov is providing a quality product.

Left Apple Music about 3 months ago and haven’t looked back.

Cladyclad, KnickstapeCity and Paper Boi dapped this.
  11. NewWaveEra

NewWaveEra Pro

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $332544.00

So now you can listen to them trashy ass Zaytoven beats with that cheap drum samples from 2012 in HiFi.

Well done.

12. Patz

Patz Pyffindor, Class of 2014.

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    The Land of The North
    Coli Cash:
    $250000.00

I would think that engineers would make those songs way more polished and updated in 2019 before they'd grant access to Master Quality. Also, most people aren't going to notice a huge difference between your usual high quality listening and Master, unless you're listening on headphones that can pick up on stuff like that and your ear can as well.

Honestly, the whole Master Quality thing is a big win for the engineers, shout out to them, they're they unsung heroes in the music industry. They play possibly the most important part, but probably get even less respect than producers.

NewWaveEra dapped this.
  13. Paper Boi

Paper Boi Veteran Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $344655.00

HiFi is different than master quality, and i listened to a j cole album on master quality with no trashy ass zaytoven beats and it was noticeably better.

spotify pay you to post?

KnickstapeCity dapped this.
  14. NewWaveEra

NewWaveEra Pro

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $332544.00

No, I'm just hating on Zays trashstrumentals and the taste of most of the mainstream listeners.

I like my music well mixed and mastered. I hope, the industry step their audio game up. New artists and producers must understand, that it's highly important to invest in the audio engineering to craft GOOD SOUNDING RECORDS. A lot of todays beats sound cheap as fukk on the creative and the mixing/mastering side. I want my ears to stop bleeding; I want to receive audiospectral wave massages of my brain and body through my music and not getting angry or disgusted of the sound and have vomit on my ear lobes.

Let us pray to the audio wave gods and power through these hardships hoping to be blessed by sacred audio heroin, brehs.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 9:57 PM
    Patz dapped this.
  15. CoCKy GeNiuS

CoCKy GeNiuS All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $308000.00

I cosign. For example Future pissed me off wit most of the mastering/mixing on his latest album. Ds2 was one of the best mixed rap albums EVER and then he regresses to Cam'ron type mixing.

One thing I respect about Puff and Suge is them niggs had them mixers and engineers camping in the studio until shyt was pristine and fitting to the album.