TONY KHAN STINKS! (TK DISAPPOINTED IN TV RIGHTS OFFER FROM WBD; WBD PLANS TO SUE FOR NBA RIGHTS; DYNAMITE NO MILLION WATCH: 519 DAYS/74 WEEKS)

Brad Piff

The Money & The Miles
Daps
Reppin
San Diego

punkumad.png

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
Tony Khan and AEW top 5 worst things to happen in wrestling for plenty of reasons but the main is that its exposed me to type of pathetic wrestling fans I didn't know existed.

:hhh:

I never cared for CM Punk but the way that boy being back where he truly belongs and talking cash shyt has had a devastating effect on a whole lot of people is fantastic.

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
Tony Khan and AEW top 5 worst things to happen in wrestling for plenty of reasons but the main is that its exposed me to type of pathetic wrestling fans I didn't know existed.

I never cared for CM Punk but the way that boy being back where he truly belongs and talking cash shyt has had a devastating effect on a whole lot of people is fantastic.

WWE having a monopoly on wrestling and being the only show in town for so long played a bigger part in these type of weird fans existing than AEW ever could

what happened is WWE's continued success while putting out a terrible product (at the time) created this weird counterculture of angry hyper-obsessed fans who absolutely despised that company. Its the reason AEW had literal diehard fans before the first Dynamite ever even aired. People were instantly die hard fans at the IDEA of AEW before an actual show even existed. Clear proof that Tony Khan and that weird pocket of fans are just byproducts of WWE's monopoly. Those fans were so thirsty for an alternative that they would have gotten behind anything that challenged WWE's status quo

edit: and please keep in mind that most AEW fans aren't apart of that weird ass pocket. A lot of us are just regular muhfukkas that like wrestling, and even watch WWE religiously STILL. These drainbanger types do not represent the majority lol.. Every AEW ain't some super stan like that. I've been to a buncha AEW shows and I see mad WWE t-shirts.. and vice versa

Last edited:

Raw Sauce

Superstar
Daps

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Tony Khan and AEW are GREAT for the business.

We wouldn't be where we are with WWE without them. There's been more drama to discuss, more places for people to work/make money/refresh their gimmicks, AEW's forced WWE to step their game up, and crucially they removed all the fans from the audience who would hijack WWE shows if they aren't given the kinda stuff that AEW delivers. AEW takes all types of wrasslin and does their best to present them in an unfiltered manner to varying to degrees of success (classic American, American indie, Japanese strong style, Lucha Libre, hardcore, etc), which can be a dope thing. WWE tends to take all of those things and filter them through their lens and that makes for a much more cohesive watch. Neither is the right way per se, but one way definitely works better for most viewers.

That said, while I don't think everyone who watches AEW is like this, there are a group of fans who basically want a meta-wink-wink-parody version of the artform (which I HATE). AEW gives them what they want and that lets WWE focus on big time, time honored, money drawing fundamentals with a new coat of paint now that Vince is gone.

I hope Tony is able to keep the company around to keep WWE on their toes, to give the talent more places to work and negotiate, to give more discussion topics for fans, and to keep the most egregious neckbeards from infecting WWE shows. I have no interest in most of what they're doing but I want him to improve his product so it has staying power. I don't care if this is a passion project for Tony, his money isn't infinite. WBD isn't going to be happy with ratings that continue to decline at a rapid pace. The bags may be generational but they get less appealing to talent the more and more empty those buildings get.

Tony's gonna have to make some tough choices (he needs to give up the book among other things) for his company to slow the skid and get to a healthy place financially and operationally that guarantees their future.

OneDeep

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans

Imma say if not for AEW wrestling outside of WWE would’ve died during the Pandemic :hubie:

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
WWE having a monopoly on wrestling and being the only show in town for so long played a bigger part in these type of weird fans existing than AEW ever could

what happened is WWE's continued success while putting out a terrible product (at the time) created this weird counterculture of angry hyper-obsessed fans who absolutely despised that company. Its the reason AEW had literal diehard fans before the first Dynamite ever even aired. People were instantly die hard fans at the IDEA of AEW before an actual show even existed. Clear proof that Tony Khan and that weird pocket of fans are just byproducts of WWE's monopoly. Those fans were so thirsty for an alternative that they would have gotten behind anything that challenged WWE's status quo

edit: and please keep in mind that most AEW fans aren't apart of that weird ass pocket. A lot of us are just regular muhfukkas that like wrestling, and even watch WWE religiously STILL. These drainbanger types do not represent the majority lol.. Every AEW ain't some super stan like that. I've been to a buncha AEW shows and I see mad WWE t-shirts.. and vice versa

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Tony Khan and AEW are GREAT for the business.

We wouldn't be where we are with WWE without them. There's been more drama to discuss, more places for people to work/make money/refresh their gimmicks, AEW's forced WWE to step their game up, and crucially they removed all the fans from the audience who would hijack WWE shows if they aren't given the kinda stuff that AEW delivers. AEW takes all types of wrasslin and does their best to present them in an unfiltered manner to varying to degrees of success (classic American, American indie, Japanese strong style, Lucha Libre, hardcore, etc), which can be a dope thing. WWE tends to take all of those things and filter them through their lens and that makes for a much more cohesive watch. Neither is the right way per se, but one way definitely works better for most viewers.

That said, while I don't think everyone who watches AEW is like this, there are a group of fans who basically want a meta-wink-wink-parody version of the artform (which I HATE). AEW gives them what they want and that lets WWE focus on big time, time honored, money drawing fundamentals with a new coat of paint now that Vince is gone.

I hope Tony is able to keep the company around to keep WWE on their toes, to give the talent more places to work and negotiate, to give more discussion topics for fans, and to keep the most egregious neckbeards from infecting WWE shows. I have no interest in most of what they're doing but I want him to improve his product so it has staying power. I don't care if this is a passion project for Tony, his money isn't infinite. WBD isn't going to be happy with ratings that continue to decline at a rapid pace. The bags may be generational but they get less appealing to talent the more and more empty those buildings get.

Tony's gonna have to make some tough choices (he needs to give up the book among other things) for his company to slow the skid and get to a healthy place financially and operationally that guarantees their future.
Good posts, although I think that Tony Khan gets too much credit for creating THE alternative to WWE when there have always been alternatives (cough, cough, TNA/Impact or MLW, for example) where wrestlers could go and raise their stock.
S/O Drew McIntyre, the Hardys, & Bobby Lashley.
Tony Khan isn't some grand innovator, he's just a guy who's dad has a ton of disposable money, and some tv connections. That being said, Tony Khan isn't the worst thing to happen to wrestling, either. Not even close.
Tony Khan had a good original concept, but his lack of understanding of the North American wrestling business (and the American fanbase), combined with his horrendous booking have turned that concept from sugar to shyt.
If Tony hadn't fumbled the relationship with Impact, then that partnership would've been incredible. Scott D'amore's mind + Shad Khan's money could've produced the five star (no pun intended) wrestling program that Tony's diehard fans pretend that Dynamite, Rampage, & Collision are.

Raw Sauce

Superstar
Daps
Good posts, although I think that Tony Khan gets too much credit for creating THE alternative to WWE when there have always been alternatives (cough, cough, TNA/Impact or MLW, for example) where wrestlers could go and raise their stock.
S/O Drew McIntyre, the Hardys, & Bobby Lashley.
Tony Khan isn't some grand innovator, he's just a guy who's dad has a ton of disposable money, and some tv connections. That being said, Tony Khan isn't the worst thing to happen to wrestling, either. Not even close.
Tony Khan had a good original concept, but his lack of understanding of the North American wrestling business (and the American fanbase), combined with his horrendous booking have turned that concept from sugar to shyt.
If Tony hadn't fumbled the relationship with Impact, then that partnership would've been incredible. Scott D'amore's mind + Shad Khan's money could've produced the five star (no pun intended) wrestling program that Tony's diehard fans pretend that Dynamite, Rampage, & Collision are.
TNA was a good alternative but that had been a long time, MLW never had enough to offer to change the landscape on a national level. Alternative in this sense means on a relatively comparable scale in most facets. Those organizations weren't offering the kind of money or exposure over the last decade that Tony has provided, nor have they impacted the WWE in any meaningful way.

I mostly agree with what you said otherwise, but I don't think something has to necessarily be innovative to be impactful.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
I'm going to keep it a buck.

AEW is the best thing to happen to wrestling, but Tony Khan is the worst thing to happen to wrestling.

AEW put on classic matches that you would normally see in the indies, Tony Khan damn near destroyed the indies with talent poaching

AEW gave lesser than known wrestlers a chance to perform for the mainstream, Tony Khan also doesn't have a clue to book the under the radar wrestlers

AEW is a legit competitor to the WWE, but TNA and MLW somewhat do exist

AEW provided fans with an alternative, but the shyt bird fanbase (THE VOCAL MINORITY, NOT THE LEVEL HEADED ONES BEFORE I GET shytTED ON) that Tony put the battery in can eat a dikk

Double edge coin. Look at the landscape of the TSC since Tony became more of a face of the company, than just the moneylender. Non stop foolishness, blatant and blanket racism, and just all around neck beard nonsense.

I guarantee you, if you pull up threads from 2019 versus the ones in 2024, you would think that it's AEW's fault, instead of a money mark spending daddies money on oversized toys to get a 5 star blassic, when stars don't matter to the half full seats and the people at home trying to figure out WTF is a CMLL. Matter of fact, WTF is a Will Oceanspray.

Its not an AEW problem, its a Tony Khan and Elite astroturfing problem.

Flex Luger

Job Is Finished
Daps
I'm going to keep it a buck.

AEW is the best thing to happen to wrestling, but Tony Khan is the worst thing to happen to wrestling.

AEW put on classic matches that you would normally see in the indies, Tony Khan damn near destroyed the indies with talent poaching

AEW gave lesser than known wrestlers a chance to perform for the mainstream, Tony Khan also doesn't have a clue to book the under the radar wrestlers

AEW is a legit competitor to the WWE, but TNA and MLW somewhat do exist

AEW provided fans with an alternative, but the shyt bird fanbase (THE VOCAL MINORITY, NOT THE LEVEL HEADED ONES BEFORE I GET shytTED ON) that Tony put the battery in can eat a dikk

Double edge coin. Look at the landscape of the TSC since Tony became more of a face of the company, than just the moneylender. Non stop foolishness, blatant and blanket racism, and just all around neck beard nonsense.

I guarantee you, if you pull up threads from 2019 versus the ones in 2024, you would think that it's AEW's fault, instead of a money mark spending daddies money on oversized toys to get a 5 star blassic, when stars don't matter to the half full seats and the people at home trying to figure out WTF is a CMLL. Matter of fact, WTF is a Will Oceanspray.

Its not an AEW problem, its a Tony Khan and Elite astroturfing problem.

You nailed it right here breh. I wouldn’t even call them fans. More like weirdo stans that just hate WWE.

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
TNA was a good alternative but that had been a long time, MLW never had enough to offer to change the landscape on a national level. Alternative in this sense means on a relatively comparable scale in most facets. Those organizations weren't offering the kind of money or exposure over the last decade that Tony has provided, nor have they impacted the WWE in any meaningful way.

I mostly agree with what you said otherwise, but I don't think something has to necessarily be innovative to be impactful.

The issue with MLW is the godawful Beinsports deal that folks overlooked. If the product was on TNT or TBS, my official MLW thread would be neck to neck with the WWE thread.

It also helps that Tony Khan is a billionaire alongside his father, so it's a easy layup to take the main roster including Tony during it's peak era, and call the rest Dynamite :francis: .

I and other brehs were there when companies like MLW and Lucha Underground were making waves and had the puters going nuts. Hell, NWG was the army and the navy, but now it seems like I'm repping solo dolo since I only watch Dub from once a spell and barely watch WWE at all despite the company going hard because of Triple Stealthbomber Nose.

Sometimes, I wish I could go back to the days when wrestling had more than one argument outside of "WWE VS AEW". I remember heads going "you should check out some indie jawn" and TSC brehs going :lupe: .

While both companies are a good thing, its like the lack of talking points suck because its either WWE or AEW. Understandable but there was something special about the beginning era of NWG :noah: