Transgender referenced in Dave Chappelle’s show commits suicide

Discussion in 'The Film Room' started by Atsym Sknyfs, Oct 12, 2019.

1. Atsym Sknyfs

Atsym Sknyfs All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Brooklyn, NY
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Transgender actress, activist and comedienne Daphne Dorman, referenced in Dave Chappelle’s ‘transphobic’ Netflix special, commits suicide

[​IMG]
    Daphne Dorman, the transgender actress, activist and comedienne who appeared in Dave Chappelle’s controversial Netflix special has committed suicide (Twitter.com)

Daphne Dorman, a San Francisco-based comedienne, actress and transgender activist has died by suicide, the Office of Transgender Initiatives for the City & County of San Francisco confirmed to the Daily News.

Dorman was at the center of controversy recently after she was referenced by Dave Chappelle in a stand-up special that some people called transphobic. Dorman, however, “was laughing the hardest” at the trans jokes in his practice set, the comedian said.

Hours before news of her passing started to circulate online, Dorman posted what appears to be a goodbye message on Facebook Friday saying she was “sorry.”

“I’ve thought about this a lot before this morning. How do you say “goodbye” and “I’m sorry” and “I love you” to all the beautiful souls you know? For the last time,” Dorman started.

“To those of you who are mad at me: please forgive me. To those of you who wonder if you failed me: you didn’t. To those of you feel like I failed you: I did and I’m sorry and I hope you’ll remember me in better times and better light,” she continued, before ending with an apology:

“I love you all. I’m sorry. Please help my daughter, Naia, understand that none of this is her fault. Please remind her that I loved her with every fiber of my being,” the emotional note ends.

Besides a growing career in show business, the Philadelphia native was also an accomplished software engineer, who as recently as August 2019, held a senior position at Vineti, a software automation and analytics platform for cell and gene therapies, according to her LinkedIn bio.

Dorman was cited by Dave Chappelle in his special “Sticks and Stones.”

The Netflix show, which premiered on Aug. 26, was slammed as offensive by many critics for the comedian’s “obsession with making fun of trans people.”

Its humor, however, was praised by some conservative outlets, such as Breitbart and The Federalist.

In a “hidden extra” of the Netflix special, Chappelle talked about becoming friends with a transgender woman who was “laughing the hardest” at the transphobic jokes.

Dorman promptly confirmed that she was the person Chappelle was referring to, even changing her Twitter bio to reflect it:

“Yep, I’m the Daphne that Dave Chappelle is talking about in Sticks and Stones,” she wrote, adding “Actress. Activist. Author. Advocate. Amazon."

According to a recent résumé posted online, Dorman explained her philosophy with the following quote: “If you can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel, maybe it’s because you’re the light at the end of someone else’s.”

San Francisco’s office of transgender initiatives, a city office that advances policies, programs and equity that support the transgender and the gender-nonconforming communities is urging anybody affected by the tragedy to look for help, if they need it.

“To our TGNC community, we love you,” TransCitySF said in a statement, which was posted on Twitter. “We are saddened to learn about of loss of Daphne Dorman today who was a beloved community member.”

People who need to speak with somebody about the traumatic experience should contact Trans Lifeline, a peer support crisis hotline for transgender folks at 877-565-8860 or reach out to Trans:Thrive.

NinoBrown dapped this.
  2. SunZoo

SunZoo The Legendary Super Sapien. Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    T.L.C.
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Damn, R.I.P.

I wonder if Dave will say something.

3. PikaDaDon

PikaDaDon Thunderbolt Them Suckers

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

Hope Dave doesn't say shyt. This is not his fault.

Wiles, Fatboi1, havoc and 71 others dapped this.
  4. SJUGRAD13

SJUGRAD13 Whatever you say Lilynette Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Queens and The Espada’s
    Coli Cash:
    $84500.00

Mental illness is very sad.

Rip to the victim.

5. Sauce Dab

Sauce Dab Veteran

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $288593.00

:wtf: Doesn’t have social media. He’ll probably just call the family privately rather than give some public statement

R.I.P. :FrancisWave:

Ezus Jezus, Rawster, Cole Cash and 19 others dapped this.
  6. Geek Nasty

Geek Nasty Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    South Kakalaka
    Coli Cash:
    $497500.00

Trannies have a super high suicide rate as it is. Dave has nothing to do with it.

Megadeus, Rawster, ArtaXerXes and 40 others dapped this.
  7. Brian O'Conner

Brian O'Conner All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $100.00

transgender people have an insanely high suicide rate above 40%
    it is without a doubt a mental illness, coming from early mental trauma most likeley abuse

the fact is the vast majority of the lgbt has been molested or abused sometime early, many "lesbians" hate men because they were raped and turned to hate men
    these people need justice and exposure of the ones who made them victims

but unfortunatley its something that is kept hush in the community, no one wants to talk about it and its rampant

dgamer, Megadeus, Rawster and 48 others dapped this.
  8. Atsym Sknyfs

Atsym Sknyfs All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Brooklyn, NY
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

I wonder if its the backlash of supporting Dave that got to her. the community probably hating on her especially since he was an activist

9. Heretic

Heretic GOLDGANG...

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Alabama
    Coli Cash:
    $370227.00

He didn't blame Dave, so I hope they don't use this as a tool to cancel him. The brehsgender was obviously not right so leave it at that before people try to drag Dave down, but I have a feeling theyll5find a way to tie Dave into his death rather than it being a coincidence that someone he mentioned committed suicide.

FeloniousMonk, nkb97, Rozay Oro and 5 others dapped this.
  10. YouRemindMe

YouRemindMe All Star

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    DET/NYC/IE
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

It'd be nice if we lived in a world where these people would get the mental help they needed
    and not empowered to drag themselves down into the pits of demonic exploitation
    This same sick society that pretends to care about people like this will no doubt use this tragedy to attack brother Chappelle
    They use peoples pain and suffering as a sword and shield to push whatever twisted agenda they see fit...smh RIP

Megadeus, I AM WARHOL, Rawster and 24 others dapped this.
  11. Zero

Zero Caution When Wet

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $308105.00

If this is the case, it'll get swept so far under the rug...

12. Yaboysix

Yaboysix That nigga

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Palatka Florida
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

THE fukk!

"Someone please tell my daughter it wasnt her fault"

Im sorry suicide when u got kids is weak!

shyt.wait till they grown and set in life before u take your own damn life.

13. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd To me, my board!

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Zenn-La
    Coli Cash:
    $345000.00

RIP

Devilinurear and Dorian Breh dapped this.
  14. Dwolf

Dwolf Veteran

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Murim
    Coli Cash:
    $2678.53

Unfortunate
    :dead:

Rawster, ArtaXerXes, MJ Truth and 9 others dapped this.
  15. Mr Hate Coffee

Mr Hate Coffee Superstar

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $450259.00

Damn. They gone try to really come after Dave because of this

SuavePrince, PowerFist, Afro and 4 others dapped this.