Vice on HBO: Black Game of Thrones Fans & SOHH Vet Have Built Their Own Universe Around Westeros

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

On Sunday night a record 17 million people tuned in for the premiere of Game of Thrones's eighth and final season, making it one of the last examples of a collective viewing experience in American culture. And while we all enjoy the same show about feuding kingdoms and flying dragons, black fans have built their own universe out of Westeros.

They've taken a show with more magical creatures than recurring characters of color, and have somehow turned it into something unapologetically black.

Rod Morrow and his wife, Karen, are the hosts of the podcast called “The Black Guy Who Tips,” and they've popularized the hashtag #DemThrones, where black viewers put their own lens on the shows dramatic twists and turns.

“Moments that resonate with black people I think are a little bit different than just the major moments of the series,” Morrow said. The hashtag has everything from explicit, black humor to deep analyses of elements of race, class, and enslavement in the show.

VICE News went to Charlotte, North Carolina to watch "The Black Guy Who Tips" in action and then attended a premiere night cookout in Brooklyn.

@Rekkapryde @Mr Hate Coffee @ThiefyPoo

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
The #DemThrones hashtag beef might be one of the most entertaining things I’ve witnessed. First the HotFiyastarter guys came up with it. Then Rod helped it grow to the mainstream. Then some of the black twitter heavies got a hold of it and a whole argument broke out about who came up with it.

This led to one of the funniest fiyastarter episodes ever. Rod caught strays as well. They’re cool now tho.

Seeing this hashtag grow has truly been an :ohhh: moment for me tho.

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
Rod is weirdo shea butter male feminist. He helped popularize black men are the white ppl of the black community. fukk him.