Virginia YMCA sued for $20M after boy drowned in pool as lifeguard was allegedly on her phone

Wildin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
What was your dumbass doing in the water if you couldn't swim?
A lot of kids get in water where they can stand and kind of slip further to where they can't. You know where its up to your shoulders and you bounce up and down and it goes from like chest to shoulders? Then they kind of drift and before they know it it's in their mouth then the panic kicks in. And when you're not a strong swimmer you can't get back.

I actually pulled a kid out of a pool...had a hotel with an indoor salt pool, im in my room chilling. There was the usual chatter, then for some reason it got dead quiet, i heard a hollar and i look out the window and see a kid face down. Turned, ran, hopped over the ottoman, ran out the door, sprinted down the hall, jumped down 2 flights of stairs, ran through the lobby, hopped the fence to the pool and went in some white guy had jumped in with all his clothes on too. Turns out
not-the-father-maury.gif

Not gonna lie though i was shook, adrenaline was going for like 2 hours. Did something to my leg, felt it in the morning. When i hopped the fence and ran next to the pool i slipped and slid on one foot in my Nikes.

Daps
I worked at a day camp in high school, and kids that age were limited to a 3 ft pool with a lifeguard, and all the counselors had CPR training, and the kids wore swim jackets, or floaties. They started swim lessons at 4 years old.
This 100%.

I remember going to the Y as a kid and they had a HUGE Olympic sized pool. The kids were on the side that was like 3 ft tops....it crept up to 4 or 4.5 ft on the boundaries of the shallow side.

The other side of the pool went from like 6 ft to 12 ft. Only saw older men and women (this was 1992 so they were probably born in the 1920s and 1930s) on the deep side. All the kids stayed shallow no matter how well they could swim.

The buoys in the middle were big and colorful and the pool itself was so large that a kid wasn't going to accidentally swim that far over to the deep side. They'd have to basically jump in over there.

AND.....the Y had permission slips that they handed DIRECTLY to the parents before pool days. The camp counselors would be like "will your kid swim, blah blah." So the parent would tell them right there "yes" or "no" and then sign the form stating what the kid could or couldn't do. Even parents with lil Michael Phelps-type kids didn't want them swimming past 4 ft without being there themselves in person.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My local pool had this kinda thing at summer camps when I was a kid. We couldn't afford it, me and my brothers were just always at the pool and taught ourselves. Having over 30 kids there tho with phone addicted Gen Z lifeguards though sounds like a recipe for disaster

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
RIP..heartbreaking...a lot of summer camps / after school swim related activities are monitored by teenagers. It is what it is. Could happen to any kid :mjcry:

Daps
The buoys in the middle were big and colorful and the pool itself was so large that a kid wasn't going to accidentally swim that far over to the deep side. They'd have to basically jump in over there.

AND.....the Y had permission slips that they handed DIRECTLY to the parents before pool days. The camp counselors would be like "will your kid swim, blah blah." So the parent would tell them right there "yes" or "no" and then sign the form stating what the kid could or couldn't do. Even parents with lil Michael Phelps-type kids didn't want them swimming past 4 ft without being there themselves in person.
I learned how to swim at 7 years old at camp. It was a Girl Scouts camp, and they had a site for Boy Scouts, and they kept us separate from the girls. I have an older sister, and my mom wasn’t sending us to two separate camps, and at the time, the other camp which I ended up working at had an entire boys program was too expensive. Once she married my stepdad, we had much more money.

There were three swim levels at Scout camp: red cap, yellow cap, and blue cap. The red caps couldn’t swim at all, and were kept in the 3ft section of the pool. Our free swim was great, because it was a smaller number of boys, and we had the 3 lifeguards, plus our troop counselors. I was red cap half the first summer, but learned to swim mid summer, and graduated to yellow cap. Then I was allowed to go into the 5-7ft section of the pool. The blue caps were allowed to swim the entire pool, and you couldn’t tell them shyt. We also had to do a tip test in the pool with life jackets in order to ride the canoes and kayaks. You had to be a blue cap to take the canoes and kayaks out without a lifeguard at the lake. I was a blue cap my second summer. After 3 summers there, we went to the expensive camp, and they had a rigorous swim program. We thought it was cool because my best friend went, and he was always talking about it. But we were 2 of about 10 black boys. There was one black female who taught the arts and craft class. There were three black female assistant counselors who were former campers. (2 were attractive: I remember them specifically.. Jenna and Tiffany) There were NO black male counselors. Okay, I’m rambling now.

:mjgrin:

I have various camp stories for days, because our mom always worked full time, and kept us at different camps to keep us busy during the summer.