We Absolutely Could Give Reparations To Black People. Here’s How.

Discussion in 'The Root' started by Diasporan Royalty, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Jesus is my protector

Jesus is my protector Wholesome Negro Staff Member Hall of Fame Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

NoHateLeftBehind, Anhur, K.Dot and 7 others dapped this.
  2. Jesus is my protector

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

I like this article because is ACTUALLY breaks down reparation in a "realistic" way. Not handing out cash(which would never happen), instead it being via investments or institutional approach.

I ESPECIALLY like how they address who exactly is entitled to reparations in this part.

3. Jesus is my protector

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

4. Poitier

Poitier My Words Law Supporter

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $1276932.00

Sub.

The College Dropout dapped this.
  5. Cynic

Cynic Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $326176.00

I'm all for investment and the money being given to black STEM companies/scholars but that's it.

Either way cacs will never agree to this because it would open up a can of worms

6. Jesus is my protector

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

WHY only stem companies/scholars? I prefer something more in business or finance OR something similar to what whites got with white suburbia.

7. Cynic

Cynic Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $326176.00

Finance you can justify pulling funding after one bad quarter (Cacs do this all the time)
    Business - only for the strategic acquisition of clients/rev stream ... That's it.
    STEM is rooted in innovation and offers more opportunities for the future
    generations. If a black class of technocrats evolves...all the black kids will gravitate
    towards this and alter their perception. Imagine all the creativity we possess innately
    but geared and directed towards STEM.

Personally finance and business would just create an elite class...(I have no problems with this btw)

8. Jesus is my protector

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Jesus Saves
    Coli Cash:
    $298500.00

Stem alone is not getting many blacks out poverty. You don't elaborate on these "opportunities" or how many blacks can take advantage of it. And saying finance and business would create an elite class seems a bit far fetched. Business/finance is more flexible than stem.

9. Cynic

Cynic Superstar

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    NULL
    Coli Cash:
    $326176.00

It's not about lifting all black folks out of poverty today but taking over industries and allowing the brightest black minds to flourish.
    I'd rather see us at the forefront of STEM and creating new business models as well as hiring our own in a growing field than
    trying to recreate New Deal policies.

Each to their own.

10. Dip

Dip diver, civilize you 85ers

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $344900.00

Reparations can absolutely be given. I don’t think they’re was a question on whether it could be done. But they won’t be.

11. Paradoxical Tiger

Paradoxical Tiger All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Wtf in the article it said 50% of the Whites who took the survey "don’t even believe that slavery is one of the reasons why black Americans have lower levels of wealth."

:dead::dead::dead:

They must not know about "Destroy his mind but keep his body upright" :snoop:

12. Paradoxical Tiger

Paradoxical Tiger All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

Use the tax dollars to help the schools in inner cities.

Convince anybody with influence who has made bad decisions in life to come to schools in inner cities and tell them how to not make the same bad decisions they did.

Use tax dollars to give fathers and mothers better opportunities to succeed (Free College perhaps) and plainly more places to work.

Then wait to see how the youth turns out. If that 50% goes down then stick to the formula until its at a reasonable percentage.

Progression is obtainable but a lot of people gon have to put that foolish pride to the side.

No negs please I already got enough from a thread and a post saying steph not the goat PG :to:(He's the only the goat shooter:whoa:)

13. Tony_Bromo

Tony_Bromo Still learning.... Supporter

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Dade/Broward
    Coli Cash:
    $349700.00

gonna read this later subs

NoHateLeftBehind and K.Dot dapped this.
  14. DrBanneker

DrBanneker Space is the Place

Daps Received:
    Reppin:
    Figthing borg at Wolf 359
    Coli Cash:
    $100500.00

Interesting article, but maybe you guys could help me with something here.

I'll be honest, I have never been convinced or especially passionate about reparations for slavery. I supported John Conyers' bill because I think there needs to be an account of how much wealth we created for this country that was taken from us to silence all those people who claim we did nothing, should shut up since we are lucky to be here, etc.

To clear things up, my skepticism about reparations is not based on any of the following:

1. Calling reparations advocates "race hustlers", "race pimps", or any other the other coded stupid terms out there. They are honest people who I believe see our problems clearly and correctly, but are going after the wrong solution

2. Not believing Blacks deserve reparations. I mean, we should have gotten at least gotten land grants. We were robbed and given a few years of Freedman's Bureau then more oppression. That was bullshyt

3. Believing "self-help" alone will fix everything.

I say all this because I think many reparations advocates get what other people don't: because of the huge wealth gap, just investing like White people won't cut it. Though not perfect, our average person is increasing their wealth like Whites (average Whites, not upper middle class / rich). Why do I think this? If we were getting no return on our investments, our proportion of national wealth should be steadily shrinking. Instead it is stubbornly constant. So on average we should be getting near the returns as most Whites which is mostly house price appreciation, savings accounts, and institutionally managed retirement plans.

This is the key problem. If we get the same returns on investment as Whites, the wealth gap will never decrease, only stay constant. Reparations advocates get this and at least they know abstractly that a wealth injection is needed to equalize things. Otherwise we would have to either have a higher return on our wealth than Whites for a few decades to catch up. Small and relatively educated immigrants can do this. A legacy population of 40 mil+ is a lot harder. Historically the only other way people catch up is stealing other people's shyt and we can't/shouldn't do that.

All that being said, I see a lot of passion and energy being thrown after reparations in ways I find disconcerting. I said earlier I don't believe self-help can fix everything but some of our issues in health, education, personal finances, and business keep us from taking advantage of what we have now, much less reparations we could get. It seems like people are more comfortable fighting Civil Rights style fights because we have a track record of winning those. Complaining about Black wealth and ignoring the check cashing stores and cash4gold wealth suckers is crazy. We should be educating and banking everyone possible to get rid of that crap.

To be honest, as cynical as it sounds, I think a long-term strategy would be raising the Black savings rate and getting a significant proportion of our wealth locked into long-term appreciating assets like land (not homes), precious metals (gold/silver), some cash, and select assets like some sovereign bonds or solid stocks/company bonds. This wouldn't actually increase our wealth through returns quickly (and precious metals give no return) but it would give us what most Americans don't have---secure, capital preserving investments. Our share of national wealth would increase over time as each time the economy takes a hit, our investments would decrease less and our share of national wealth increases. Then at the bottom we would use some of our liquid assets and buy assets off others at depressed prices increasing our wealth even more. Or do other things like loan money to our community based off low interest money we borrow backed by part of our investments. Rinse and repeat every economic cycle. That's how we got Harlem and South Side Chicago. The average person can't do this but if some organizations like the old UNIA or otherwise could run something (and be trusted) selling shares to Blacks, it could help some. We could make it ceremonial, like gifting shares at a birth, 16th birthday, or other event.

Another concern of mine is a lot of the wrong (think right wing) element in this country would actually live with reparations because it would give them an excuse to throw us to the wall. Granted they are trying to do that anyway but you do realize people like Charles Krauthammer say they would support reparations if Blacks agree to not ask for anything else ever again? Charles Murray (of the Blacks are less intelligent due to genetics Bell Curve fame) supports a basic income since they could then rip down all the infrastructure of social democracy in return. Just give them a check and let the infrastructure, health system, etc. rot. I really think reparations would be the final turning of this country's back on us, not a hand up in support. I just don't trust the system like that.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

15. im_sleep

im_sleep All Star

Daps Received:
    Coli Cash:
    $500.00

I liked the article a lot.
    :ehh:

I gotta sit down with some time on my hand to get back to this and state my full opinion on it tho.