What was the East Coast’s Reaction To The Chronic and Doggystyle?

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
Like the title says how did NY and the east react when the Chronic and Doggystyle dropped?

:jbhmm:

how did other regions react?

I had seen the album at the Wiz lol when it came out in December of ‘92 but didn’t get it until springtime ‘93 when the singles really took off on Hot 97...Doggystyle was an instant cop when it came out in November...I would say the West Coast took over the airwaves here but by ‘95 the East Coast and NYC rap had come back
shyt took over. It was the first time hardcore west coast rap was played on the radio over here. Up until then we heard all the west coast shyt by watching music videos. Of course there was MC Hammer and Digital Underground but that’s about it. Everything changed over night. All of a sudden Just Like Compton and Indo Smoke was on the radio

nikkas like Domino :russ:

I was in the 6th grade. We instantly went from asking our parents for Cross Colors to asking for flannel
:dead:
Somebody got an answer?
@onlylno
Deep COVER movie soundtrack song that had Dre and Snoop had lots of rotation in east.
Dre records always got love here. dont forget Dre Snoop were the main ones getting play here. Warren G got loved here .he had like one or two songs but it was more of an "industry" vibe thing cause he was signed to Def Jam Records and he was cool with Biggie. Too Short records got no love but he hung out with rap dudes in NY most rap dudes hang out with each other. Too SHort did work with Jay and Biggie . Fat Joe cool with Mack 10 even did a hood movie together.. Cypress Hill gets crazy love in NY "how I could Kill a Man" was filmed in the Bronx.

also NWA was played here. an unknown beef when Eazy E said "the good the bad the ugly another streetwise nig**as you know me" was a shot at MOB STYLE. The drug dealers AZIE, Pretty Tone ,Gangsta Lou, Whip WOP. Azie as you already know was affiliated with ALPO, Rich Porter. anyways, they sent a shot at NWA for not being real . Mob Style had an album songs Street Wise and Good Bad Ugly name album. Gangsta lou and crew went at Ice Cube when Ice Cube was rockin with Public Enemy after Ice Cube left NWA in Harlem at the APollo Theatre. i think either they hit cube or closed in on him and Public Enemy peoples or security ....i forgot what i read it was years ago internet. theres articles and someone talked about it on youtube. it wasnt serious but they eventually squash it cause Mob Style was known in the city but their music never really took off and like i said they were just street dudes and they didnt get any major record deals and Gangsta lou in and out of jail etc..

Pharcyde, Hieroglyphics, diffinelty Ras Kas got love for their boom bop lyrical hip hop

on a side note, the year when Eazy E died. He was in East COast hanging out and Treach from Naught By Nature form New Jersey did a song with Eazy E "only if you want it". He was on Naughty By Nature video "Hip Hop Hooray" video with the water gun play fight at the end of the video

Last edited:

Erratic415

Superstar
Daps
In 1992 I was 13. Living in Pennsylvania. The anticipation for both albums was unreal. This was pre internet so the only way you heard any songs before the albums dropped was on radio or MTV. I remember when I finally got the Chronic album, "Dre Day" was uncensored with different lyrics. Had to learn the curse words :russ:

My grandma got me Doggystyle for Christmas of 1993. It was all anyone listened to. Good times.

Doggystyle has got to be one of the most anticipated albums ever, and it more than lived up to the expectations.

"Gangsta rap" was all controversial then, especially Snoop got arrested for murder 2 months before the album came out.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
"Amazement" covers it. NY in particular had forgotten about the funk and soul samples being valid for lead singles. Radio played it's part in skewing perception, all everybody wanted was boom bap for tough lead singles and the funk/soul/RnB got relegated to album cuts.

The West, especially Dre, went all in...and it worked. In a way it was a natural progression from Kane, smoothed out but still grimy as hell where it counted.

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
the eastcoast response was to copy the formula with Ready to Die

with respect, not true at all.

1. I'll start with rap skits in music, DeLaSoul by producer Prince Paul were the first had skits on their songs even WuTang had skits on their records. Delasoul gave birth to the backpack alternative hipster rap movement and were huge.
2. both Dre album concepts and Ready To Die vastly different sound wise concepts etc...
3. it cant be story telling cause lots of story telling and cinematic style raps already done before

4.east coast already loved Dre and Snoop since Deep Cover movie soundtrack song Snoop's first and hit song and they did listen to NWA album .
5. Cant be because of gangster rap cause gangster rap started by Schooly D from philly by then kool g rap, Mob Style, NWA EAzy already and of course ICE T. Ice T dj and producer was from NY including his affiliation with Zulu Nation
6. ice cube worked with Public Enemy Producers for his first solo album

6 dont see the the need to copy when they loved dre and snoop:yeshrug:
7 no one liked Snoop Master p projects though :snoop:
8 if anything, the comparisons was Ready to Die with NAS first album
9 low key fun fact, i love pac but Diddy did help switch Biggie too rugged style to be more smooth with the flow . Don't forget Diddy used to work/intern help manage Uptown MCA artists. Uptown MCA artists had many hip hop/R&B songs and artists. HEAVY D was a big guy smooth well dressed persona rapper that DIddy was involved with and grew up with Diddy in Mt. Vernon. Diddy knew how to market Biggie and has a history marketing folks that you wouldnt think had that "it" factor hence why biggie had the smoothed out flow compared when he first started and he had songs for the ladies but also "club" songs..
Pac knows how to market and make songs for the ladies but Pac was influenced by LL COOL J. LL COOL J and MC SHAN were the first to have hip hop slow jam songs. LL concentrated in making songs for the ladies, radio mainstream raps, taking his shirt /muscles for the ladies, and at the same time making songs for the dudes in the hood.(not gangster but hood songs)
9 read my previous posts in this thread on this page regarding examples east and west regarding Dre/SNoop and others.

Last edited:

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
"Amazement" covers it. NY in particular had forgotten about the funk and soul samples being valid for lead singles. Radio played it's part in skewing perception, all everybody wanted was boom bap for tough lead singles and the funk/soul/RnB got relegated to album cuts.

The West, especially Dre, went all in...and it worked. In a way it was a natural progression from Kane, smoothed out but still grimy as hell where it counted.
to be fair, EPMD was big when they started 1987-1988 had some records before they broke up and Eric signed Redman. Eric known for his funk style beats. Hence why the wst (california) had love for EPMD till this day .
I would give credit to Calfornia group , Above The Law with Cold187um with his GFUNK production from Ruthless Records helping influencing Dr. Dre with that G Funk

Mtt

Superstar
Daps
:dwillhuh:

I never put 2 and 2 together but you’re 100% right.

It’s making me look at ready to die differently.
nope i disagree. i explained in my previous posts why i respectfully disagree with the statement the other poster said.

Last edited: