What's Beef: The History Of Gillie Vs Lil Wayne

fukkyalifestyle

Superstar
Daps
Competition has always been a part of Hip Hop culture, but sometimes competition can turn into “Beef”. The relationship between Lil Wayne & Gillie Da Kid was strong at one point, but ultimately failed and turned into a war of words.

For those that are unfamiliar with Gillie Da Kid, he is a rapper from North Philly who was signed to Cash Money at one point. While signed to Cash Money, rumors started that Gillie was writing for artists on Cash Money, including Lil Wayne. Later we found out that Gillie was not writing for Lil Wayne, but he was “Coaching” him.

So what happened that led to these two falling out and beefing? Read the rest of the article to find out.

Gillie Da Kid was originally apart of a very successful group from Philadelphia called Major Figgas. In the year 2000 they signed with Ruff Nation Records/Warner Brothers for their debut album, Figgas 4 Life. The album ended up serving one hit single “Yeah That’s Us”, which hit #2 on the U.S. Rap Singles chart and #34 on the R&B Singles chart. The deal was short lived, but the experience was tremendous for group standout Gillie Da Kid.

During the group deal with Ruff Nation, Gillie also had an artist deal with Tony Draper & Suave House. Shortly after, Gillie met Cash Money CEO, Birdman.

” I had seen Baby in Philly, backstage at the First Union Center. Cash Money was headlining and we came out right before them. After we performed, Baby told me, “If you ever get off Suave House, I got an ‘S’ for you,” pointing to his chain. So when I got off Suave House, we got the situation done.” - 2006 XXL Magazine Interview

Gillie, Wayne and Dutch from Major Figgaz in the “Bring it Back” video.

Around the year 2001 Gillie signed with Cash Money and things were looking up for the North Philly Emcee. Gillie was the new kid on the block with a fresh new flow and a lot of heart. Honestly, Cash Money saw a new way of life: How to dress, How to talk and How to rap. Right out of the gate, Birdman saw that Gillie was a star, and he became a mentor to Lil Wayne.

“You don’t go from being “Wobbly, wobbly, wobbly/Drop it like its hot”…You don’t go from being mediocre to being exceptional. You don’t go from rapping a certain way all your life and then this: For fukkin’ with the bol!” I’m from Philly and I know Philly is the originator of that word “bol” and “nahmean.”2006 XXL Magazine Interview

Gillie would write verses for Birdman (“What Happened To That Boy“) among other artist’s on the Cash Money roster.

“I know Stunna he can’t say too many big words, so you got to make it as simple as possible.” – 2006 XXL Magazine Interview

Gillie claims he wrote on Lil Wayne’s album, The Carter.

“The Carter 1, I didn’t do the The Carter 2. I wasn’t even there for that.” 2006 HipHopDX Interview

Wayne wearing Gillie’s chain in “Bring It Back” video

According to Gillie, he signed his deal with Cash Money and was able to keep 100% of his publishing. Getting your publishing from a record label is rarely ever done and most artists in general do not get their publishing. This is what hurt Gillie’s career as an individual Cash Money artist.

“After I had [signed], he tried to buy some of my publishing. I didn’t want to sell any of my publishing, but they just assumed that after we got the label deal done they could just make me blink into selling them some publishing, but I wouldn’t do it. So that’s why they basically had me playing the background”. - 2006 XXL Magazine Interview

Once Gillie figured out what was going on, it was a wrap and he left the label. This is where the beef with Lil Wayne started.

Lil Wayne fires the first shot when he releases the song “Problem Solver,” “Gillie man, I don’t think you nikkas should really fukk with me; The gun off me urgently workin’ and twerkin’ it perfectly”.

Gillie wasn’t feeling that so he made some legendary appearances on different DVDS talking about the situation. Basically, Lil Wayne dissed Gillie because he left Cash Money, but Gillie had no ill feelings towards Wayne.

tumblr_m7n54o12Ho1qagxv6o1_500.jpg

This photo leaked after Wayne dissed Gillie first

When all is said and done, Gillie responds to Lil Wayne with two diss songs. The first, a witty and lyrical diss over the “Cannon” beat. This was a direct response to Lil Wayne’s “Problem Solver” verse.

Keep in mind, Gillie was around Cash Money for years and he was a mentor and big brother to Lil Wayne. Wayne even wore Gillies chains in his video before the rest of the country was really up on Gillie.

In my opinion, it’s never smart to battle against someone who knows all your business and your dirt. The other side of that is Gillie was going up against the hottest rapper at the time, with millions of fans. Right off the bat, fans are going to dismiss Gillie as a hater and people in the industry are going to distance themselves.

In 2006, Gillie was supposed to do a Gangsta Grillz mixtape with DJ Drama. Anyone that knows Wayne’s career knows that his mixtape series “The Dedication” with DJ Drama helped put him on the map as far as being a real rapper and not a kiddie rapper anymore. Wayne and Drama were very close at the time, so naturally Drama is going to side with Wayne, “the hottest rapper out.”

Long story short, Gillie never officially put out that Gangsta Grillz mixtape, but he did end up releasing one years later. The original tape still exists on the internet somewhere, but it is not labeled Gangsta Grillz. We searched the Internet endlessly to find this mixtape but we had no luck.

Gillie fires back with last diss track. In my opinion this is one of the best diss songs in Hip Hop history, because the track was so personal. Gillie released “Frontin Like Ya Daddy” over the “Stuntin Like My Daddy” beat.

Some of the highlights include: “nikka U Had A Show In Philly, But You Gave Dat Money Back Coz U Were Scared To See Gillie, New Jersey, Tweeter Center Talkin Filthie, When Its Time To Cross Dat Bridge, U Like Dis nikka Mite Kill Me.”

After Gillies response the beef died down and they both moved on with their careers. Gillie even shouted out Wayne when he was doing his time in Rikers Island. A lot of beef has ended up in violence, and we are happy this ended on wax. Both artists are extremely talented and we wish them nothing but positivity in their lives and careers.

If you like pieces like this, sound off in the comment section and we will work on covering more “Hip Hop Beefs”.
Source - http://www.miketrampetv.com/whats-beef-the-history-of-lil-wayne-vs-gillie-da-kid/

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Bias ass article.

Gillie is trash.

And Spade was the standout from MF.

And lol at the figgas being "very success"

Wayne worth 100 Ms. :wow:

fukkyalifestyle

Superstar
Daps
Bias ass article.

Gillie is trash.

And Spade was the standout from MF.

And lol at the figgas being "very success"

Wayne worth 100 Ms. :wow:
I wrote it, didn't mean for it to come off bias. Just that people know Wayne and his career and his accomplishments so I leaned more towards Gill. The Figgas signed a multi million dollar deal which was like the biggest deal for a Hip Hop group at the time. You from Philly you know the impact they had. Bias or not this is still an accurate article tho, mostly facts.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
well now wayne is living off of whatever allowance Baby gives him...so i guess he won