What's the difference between networking and nepotism? How do you network in college?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
Going to Long Beach (or SDSU, when I hear back from my appeal letter I sent) and I feel nervous about finding a job in the advertising/pr field post-graduation. I'm a shy dude and I don't how to interact with folks to help ensure me a job. 6 certs and 6 figures guys, any advice?

SheWantTheD

Veteran
Daps
People say network this network that in college but I really see what helps is someone having a mentor whether that be a professor, counselor, etc that mentors them and helps them with getting an internship, job, getting into graduate school etc.

That's a tangible example I know of networking. All the nikkas I went to school with.. ain't none of them help me get no job.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
It happens naturally. Meet and build relationships with fellow students, advisors, professors, internships etc.

It really ain't that hard.

But then again I'm ambitious AF

Double Burger With Cheese

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Networking: Being cool with someone in another department and them handing your resume directly to the hiring manager for a position and putting in a good word. Then you do good in the interview and get the job. Your resume may not have gotten chosen if you would have submitted online like everyone else.

Nepotism: Being cool with someone in another department, and they cool with the hiring manager for a position over there. You not qualified, but they tell you what to say and put on your resume to be qualified, and hire you over way more qualified candidates cause you part of the club. Your resume definitely wouldn’t have been chosen if you submitted online like everyone else.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
It requires social networking, that forces you OFF of the rigorous book learning. Basically, a bootstraps theory where very few students have the proper balance for.

This job/career system is designed most to fail.

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Going to Long Beach (or SDSU, when I hear back from my appeal letter I sent) and I feel nervous about finding a job in the advertising/pr field post-graduation. I'm a shy dude and I don't how to interact with folks to help ensure me a job. 6 certs and 6 figures guys, any advice?
Theres no polite way of saying this really

just stop being a bytch and force yourself out of your comfort zone. As a man, especially if youre black you have to try your hardest to stack the deck in your favor and standout.

start by talking to strangers casually, then women youre attracted to…even off campus so you can be comfortable knowing youll prolly never see em again

eventually networking at events and conferences will be a breeze and youll enjoy doing it. I say this from experience

brandy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
DMV

An easy way would be connecting on Linkedin and finding different conferences dedicated to Black PR and Black advertising. Everything is virtual so its pretty cheap. Join orgs; including business-related stuff.

Talk to your profs, classmates, etc.

It’s okay that you are shy. Most people are.

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
An easy way would be connecting on Linkedin and finding different conferences dedicated to Black PR and Black advertising. Everything is virtual so its pretty cheap. Join orgs; including business-related stuff.

Talk to your profs, classmates, etc.

It’s okay that you are shy. Most people are.
So join a club or organization dedicated to my field and intern and mention the name of the people I worked and study with?