Whiplash 2014 film

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
hooked off rip…sometimes you see things and take for granted how much effort, skill, talent and coordination those things take…always heard about this flick but never watched it…didn’t realize it’s 10 years old already…thought it came out a few years ago
It'll be 10 next October, but yeah, time flies. 2014 was a shytty year for me, but one of the few good things to come out of it was seeing all of the movies that were released that year. Whiplash was one of them.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
this music is good…I’ve turned up the volume about 3 different times so far lol

s@n

All Star
Daps
To put in perspective what Cherokee really meant as a song, as told by someone who was actually there:

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
Didn’t like the movie. As a musician, watching it felt waaaaayyyy over the top with the hazing.

Felt corny after a while.

Spades Of Aces

The Infinity Watcher
Daps
Reppin
Japan
Next year will be the 10 year anniversary of this movie….and I just watched it! Truly an amazing movie! The ending was just phenomenal! After I finished it, Andrew and Fletcher’s relationship with music reminded me of Anakin and Darth Sidious in a way. Both were groomed to the “dark side” thus bringing out their true potential. It’s quite fascinating as you can see Andrew go into the point of no return. He’s in too deep!

I’m really hoping something cool will be done for the 10 year anniversary of this movie because it deserves it.

Last edited:

Spades Of Aces

The Infinity Watcher
Daps
Reppin
Japan
Didn’t like the movie. As a musician, watching it felt waaaaayyyy over the top with the hazing.

Felt corny after a while.

From a lot of comments I read about this movie, most have said that this was an accurate portrayal of what goes on in this type of atmosphere. I found it to be quite jarring. Squeezing every bit of emotional drop from a person in order to bring out the best in them . A rare few are made for that particular moment. That is what made the movie so fascinating to me. In spite of everything that Andrew went through, to crank out that type of performance in the end was brilliant. He used it as fuel to become his absolute best but at what cost…

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
From a lot of comments I read about this movie, most have said that this was an accurate portrayal of what goes on in this type of atmosphere. I found it to be quite jarring. Squeezing every bit of emotional drop from a person in order to bring out the best in them . A rare few are made for that particular moment. That is what made the movie so fascinating to me. In spite of everything that Andrew went through, to crank out that type of performance in the end was brilliant. He used it as fuel to become his absolute best but at what cost…
Well, I’m a musician and I’ve known enough and been in enough situations. Not sure where you’re getting your information.

And if it is another musician saying it’s accurate, it’s because that musician is a over dramatic anyways.

Musicians ain’t doing all that and then getting shytted on. Not one with sense.

It was over the top and crass for no good reason and made music seem militaristic and full of hazing.

That’s not how good music is made nor good musicians.

Spades Of Aces

The Infinity Watcher
Daps
Reppin
Japan
Well, I’m a musician and I’ve known enough and been in enough situations. Not sure where you’re getting your information.

And if it is another musician saying it’s accurate, it’s because that musician is a over dramatic anyways.

Musicians ain’t doing all that and then getting shytted on. Not one with sense.

It was over the top and crass for no good reason and made music seem militaristic and full of hazing.

That’s not how good music is made nor good musicians.

Well, I have no dog in the fight here. The comments I’ve been talking about came from some YouTube comments that were either reviews of the movie itself or the drumming/hazing portion. Now I can totally see how some of it could be exaggerated but also there is a bit of realism in it as well.
Greyson goes in to great detail on this: