Why do judges get lifetime appointments?

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
And why do politicians decide who fills the seats?

It’s basically like being a dictator.

why would the constitution allow something like that :mindblown:
Well...locally most judges are elected, for one.

Constitutionally, the thought is that a Lifetime appointment means that the judges decisions won't be swayed by political winds.

They want them to be independent

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Well...locally most judges are elected, for one.

Constitutionally, the thought is that a Lifetime appointment means that the judges decisions won't be swayed by political winds.

They want them to be independent

The irony is that there appointment are.

Sounds like bullshyt to me. They’re obviously not independent and their decisions are swayed by political beliefs which is what Supreme Court decisions are usually voted based on the party that appointed them.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
The irony is that there appointment are.

Sounds like bullshyt to me. They’re obviously not independent and their decisions are swayed by political beliefs which is what Supreme Court decisions are usually voted based on the party that appointed them.
On a number of topics it's clear...but in the long run, they usually go by the law.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Why do mods continue to let you make threads?

tumblr_nf1qjlOkQy1qi8boqo1_r1_500.gif

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
If the judges could be voted in or out they'd be more likely to toe political lines rather than legal lines.

Also, if you kicked them out early then they would have more incentive to join a corporation afterwards...which would give them more incentive to favor such corporate interests while judging.

Personally though I do wish there was a mandatory retirement age or some shyt. And there should probably be a lot more judges so any one appointment/a$$hole isn't so consequential. I'd have somewhat more trust in the system if there were 40 Supreme Court justices rather than 9 (some countries have even more).