Working to Develop Wealth in the African-American Community

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Was watching one of the interviews of Robert F. Smith on Youtube (this one on the Entrepreneurship at Cornell Page), and he mentioned a few things that I've heard from a couple of other wealthy business people:
see @ 36 min:

He's already implemented a few of the programmes, but the "on-ramps" to develop "human capital" in companies under siege is incredibly important to ensuring the development of the community at large. Once these on-ramps exist, you have a surefire way of lowering crime, increasing education, increasing marriage rates, increasing college graduation rates, etc.

Its important to note that immigrant and migrant groups often seek these on-ramps, and it certainly does aid in their success.

Arris

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cleveland
a little off topic but since I know your in cleveland @Thomas, that new amazon warehouse they're putting in randle should be great. that area is majority black

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
a little off topic but since I know your in cleveland @Thomas, that new amazon warehouse they're putting in randle should be great. that area is majority black
Perfectly on subject, and I hadn’t even realized it was going to be built in Randall Park Mall until a day or two ago.
It should definitely help boost employment in that area, which deals w/ it’s own set of Rust Belt Black issues.
I hope the community takes advantage and we don’t end up with transplants from Westlake and Avon trying to take over.

I know Amazon is also investing in the Rapid and Light-Rail systems, which have a majority Black usage base.
I may not like Bezos’ tactics, but his impact should be strong here in Cleveland, especially for East Siders.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Robert is such an inspiration but what I've learned from him and other's very a like him is. Yes what he is doing is working very well but there are clearly still limitations to his ability

The way he runs Vista is far beyond many companies his competing against

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Robert is such an inspiration but what I've learned from him and other's very a like him is. Yes what he is doing is working very well but there are clearly still limitations to his ability

The way he runs Vista is far beyond many companies his competing against
That's the thing.
When he talked about his transactional and mergers & acquisitions work at Goldman, he had a direct $50B involvement.
He runs VEP easily better than all other private equity firms in the US, while also doing a large amount of philanthropy (I'd prefer he'd donate to HBCUs over wealthy Ivies, but those are his alma mater, and its not my money), we just need more cohesive, focused Black financial managers like him.

Another person I think of as well is Eddie Brown of Brown Capital Management, who also does a tremendous amount of good.

PhillyzFinest

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The good brehs of PHI
First step... If you want to have a conversation on building wealth in the black community, you need to actually define what wealth actually is.

What is the actual definition of wealth in financial terms? A lot of people don't know. :francis:

A lot of wealthy black people aren't actually wealthy. They're rich.

The black people with money we look up to and attempt to emulate are often professional athletes & entertainers (rappers, producers, etc.).

Then we have the professionals (lawyers, doctors, engineers, etc.)

They may make good money, but it's hard to build wealth with the type of money they're getting.

In these terms, their income is/was "earned income." In order to build wealth, you need "leveraged" "passive" or "portfolio" income.

- Earned: When you work a job, your paycheck is "earned income." You are your only asset. If you don't get your "ass"et to work, you don't get paid. Earned income is linear, meaning it is virtually the same check every pay. no matter how hard you work. Earned income is the hardest way to get rich or build wealth, because it is also the most taxed of all incomes.

- Leveraged: When you "leverage" the efforts of others or a system that automatically produces products and services. Think Jim Rohn's quote "I'd rather have 1% of effort from 99 people than 100% of my own."

- Passive: When you continuously receive income based on an asset you own. (Renting properties, holding fees from television shows/commercials, etc.)

- Portfolio: When you invest money into something that increases in value (Real Estate, Stock Market)

Basically, wealth is money that you get without having to work a job. You can't pass down a job to your kids. You CAN however, pass down a SYSTEM that continually makes you and your family money (wealth) to your kids.

Business ownership, real estate holdings and a stock portfolio are the type of things that can increase the amount of money your future generations receive.

If we want to get REAL about wealth, we need to understand the difference between having a JOB, having STOCK ownership in a company, OWNING a business and being a CONTRACTOR.

1*BG-4rDGsMfv56XJXtZ3mWA.jpeg

Once you get a good grasp of HOW people get their money and HOW it sets them up, the next step is understanding HOW to get there.

As most of us have jobs, we don't know how to transition from that E quadrant to the B / I quadrant.

rde-chart-pg242-image.jpg

First step to building wealth is managing money like a wealthy person. We're never going to be able to invest anything without money saved, and in order to that we have to discipline ourselves to take money from that check and dedicate it to things that will get you money without you having to consistently labor in managing and maintaining it.

Understanding debt; good debt vs bad debt... assets and liabilities, credit and taxes are the first steps to getting BETTER at managing money.

I could go even deeper, but we need to start here.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
I have a strong feeling that this upcoming generation will be in a world of hurt. The government isn't helping you, if the government don't help, no one is helping you. While you could say you will be that one that gets there, assuming you are and do, who will be with you. Likely no one else if you are talking about wealth. Reality got to hit at some point of the world we are living in and dealing with.