Your online production business is your Business

JBone4eva

All Star
Supporter
Daps
An update:

one of the artists that first bought a beat from me in 2013- bought 2 exclusives from me last night and early this morning for a combined total of over 2k. If I hadn't provided him a lease all those years ago for dirt cheap at the time time for $30.00 I wouldn't have made over 2k this morning. This goes to show that you can start with low prices and elevate your price, and brand, you don't have to forever be stuck at a low price point.

People can call it luck, but really it's just about putting yourself in position to be sustainable, no matter what "level" you are as a producer. You have to look at your standard of living and develop a clear plan in regards to how much money you need to live, as far as paying rent or mortgage, food and other necessities. The most difficult thing for me to do, was to understand the leasing market at first, and then develop a plan around sustainability. I had the problem originally when starting out where people would buy beats but then those people wouldn't need beats for a while, so I constantly had to invest in marketing and ads, which- is hit or miss at first, when you put yourself in a position of needing things to work right away, it hardly ever works as fast as you want it or need it to. That can also cause people to give up, especially when they don't see the progress.

So to that, I would say set a small goal for instance if you never sold or leased a beat before I would set a challenge to make 1 sell (either lease or exclusive in 30 days. This works because the goal is measurable, and it's something that's within immediate reach. It isn't like a college player that dreams to make it in the big leagues (baseball football, basketball take your pick) They have to wait, and although the dream is in reach, there's a minimum amount of time that they have to wait in order to obtain it. longer if the kid's in high-school. But you can work on leasing or selling 1 beat right now. the goal with the first sale or lease, doesn't have to be to make money, the goal here is just to show you it's possible. If you do take on the challenge let me know, and keep me posted on your results. Maybe a few producers take the challenge and we see multiple wins.
That's dope that it all came back around, and that both you and the artist stuck with music over all that time.

I like your small goal idea. My goal has always been to one day make $1 off of music, and that's going to be a goal for 2023, even though I don't have the systems yet. I've always just made beats for fun, but I would def like to have it as a side hustle down the line. Like Boss mentioned, I've never felt my beats were good enough to sell, so I've never done anything with them. But I'm the type of person who will never think my shyt is as good as I would like it to be so I need to work at trying to facilitate making potential sales.

producingfire

Music Producer
Daps
Reppin
Miami
That's dope that it all came back around, and that both you and the artist stuck with music over all that time.

I like your small goal idea. My goal has always been to one day make $1 off of music, and that's going to be a goal for 2023, even though I don't have the systems yet. I've always just made beats for fun, but I would def like to have it as a side hustle down the line. Like Boss mentioned, I've never felt my beats were good enough to sell, so I've never done anything with them. But I'm the type of person who will never think my shyt is as good as I would like it to be so I need to work at trying to facilitate making potential sales.
Definitely Jbone! Everything begins with the first step. There's a lot of noise on both sides of either, it can't be done or the other side I've made 20+30 k a month. understand that both of those possibilities are out there, but I wouldn't pay them too much attention at the onset because it wouldn't help where you are currently. Instead have a simple goal as above something like speak with 10 people a day for the next 30 days, and at that point, you will have 300 new relationships with people that you can reach out to directly. At that point you can reach out to 300 people and convert at least 1 of them to make your first 1 dollar. Break everything down into small steps, that way you won't get overwhelmed. You don't even have to start with 10 people a day. You can start with 3 people or 2 people, the key is just to start.

JBone4eva

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Definitely Jbone! Everything begins with the first step. There's a lot of noise on both sides of either, it can't be done or the other side I've made 20+30 k a month. understand that both of those possibilities are out there, but I wouldn't pay them too much attention at the onset because it wouldn't help where you are currently. Instead have a simple goal as above something like speak with 10 people a day for the next 30 days, and at that point, you will have 300 new relationships with people that you can reach out to directly. At that point you can reach out to 300 people and convert at least 1 of them to make your first 1 dollar. Break everything down into small steps, that way you won't get overwhelmed. You don't even have to start with 10 people a day. You can start with 3 people or 2 people, the key is just to start.
Props. Where would you suggest meeting people to reach out to? DM random emcees on social media with links to my music?

producingfire

Music Producer
Daps
Reppin
Miami
Props. Where would you suggest meeting people to reach out to? DM random emcees on social media with links to my music?
Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Family, Friends,
Facebook Ads, Instagram Ads, Twitter Ads,Google Ads- Note the people that tend to find you through google ads are people that typically are ready to Buy at that moment. So that's definitely a spot to invest in ads.

Dm'ing on social media works, but start a conversation with them first get to know them and their music don't try to sell them right away. If you conduct the conversation properly, they will ask you about what you do. at that point you can tell them about your beats. I would start the conversation like so

My name is Jbone, I'm a music producer out of (city) and I' checked out your music (say which song you checked out, tell them what you liked, or give them something constructive etc. If you can give them something for free Ie a free beat- You offer that and then get their email in exchange. At that point you can send them to a page with your beats and an amazing offer depending upon what that offer is for you. The person will either buy, or they won't buy, but if they don't buy you at least have their email to be able to sell to them whenever you upload a new beat. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you have. My goal this year, is to help as many people as I possibly can especially help set up their online businesses and such.