Yvette Carnell - Denmark Vesey: Reclaiming Lineage and Legacy Book Club

saturn7

Politics is an EXCHANGE!!!
Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
I have the audiobook of The Garden of Denmark Vesey. I have so many to finish.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
With all due respect......and I have not yet watched listened to this video...
YC has drawn a clear line in the sand about heritage and lineage, as is her right

How does Denmark Vesey play a role in what she exclusively delineated as AADOS heritage?

He wasn't born in what was then U.S. territory.

Last edited:

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How does Denmark Vesey play a role in what she exclusively delineated as AADOS heritage?
It's a slow rebrand... she realized a lot of her callers are 2nd gen non slave descendants and wants to keep their views/money flowing to her platform.

Ezigbo Nwanyi

From the East
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Home of Dr. Michael Okpara & GeneralAguiyi-Ironsi
It's a slow rebrand... she realized a lot of her callers are 2nd gen non slave descendants and wants to keep their views/money flowing to her platform.

Huh? She needs to keep that same energy. Any 2nd gen non slave descendant putting their energy to convince her otherwise, is a fool. She has her beliefs and should stick to it. Those of us who are 2 gen should re-direct our focus to be a catalyst to fix the problems of our respective countries in Africa. The lines have been drawn.

saturn7

Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
With all due respect......and I have not yet watched listened to this video...
YC has drawn a clear line in the sand about heritage and lineage, as is her right

He wasn't born in what was then U.S. territory.

I think her point with the Vesey book was more about how he planned his revolt and how he carefully vetted those he could trust with the plan. Also how he identified the potential sell outs and made sure they had no info about his plans. He knew to have any success they couldn't afford a mistake, also about how he considered what they would do once free. Where would they go. Go to Africa only to be sold out by Africans still involved in the slave trade, go to the Caribbean etc.

Nothing about having to switch her steez to appeal to Non NBA-DOS. She always said we can have allies, they just have to understand their place in this reparation argument (basically they don't have one) and the relationships have to mutually beneficial.

saturn7

Daps
Reppin
DMV Freedman
Huh? She needs to keep that same energy. Any 2nd gen non slave descendant putting their energy to convince her otherwise, is a fool. She has her beliefs and should stick to it. Those of us who are 2 gen should re-direct our focus to be a catalyst to fix the problems of our respective countries in Africa. The lines have been drawn.

Watch the video. Momentum is misrepresenting.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I think her point with the Vesey book was more about how he planned his revolt and how he carefully vetted those he could trust with the plan. Also how he identified the potential sell outs and made sure they had no info about his plans. He knew to have any success they couldn't afford a mistake, also about how he considered what they would do once free. Where would they go. Go to Africa only to be sold out by Africans still involved in the slave trade, go to the Caribbean etc.

Nothing about having to switch her steez to appeal to Non NBA-DOS. She always said we can have allies, they just have to understand their place in this reparation argument (basically they don't have one) and the relationships have to mutually beneficial.
OK, thanks.
I'm only familiar with the basics about DV , but I do know that he was born in what is the West Indies.
The subtitle of the episode Denmark Vesey:RECLAIMING LINEAGE & LEGACY would seem to be inaccurate and inconsistent with the stances she's taken during the last year or so.

I'm not challenging her right to draw that line in the sand and be concerned with her specific group. Everybody has to look out for themselves in this world, nobody else will. The title of the vid directly contradicts comments that I've heard her say specifically about lineage and legacy. Following the points she's made before , an immigrant* who arrives to US today from St. Thomas is not AADOS and doesn't share her history, a Black person whose family arrived here in 1870s from St. Thomas is not AADOS and doesn't share her history, but somehow Denmark Vesey is part of her legacy and lineage?HOW?
*(St. Thomas is currently U.S. territory, so technically the first example wouldn't be an immigrant)

I'm going to familiarize myself with more of the story , but from the outside, it appears that she used the wrong example to make her point.

Momentum

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Watch the video. Momentum is misrepresenting.
Why would an American slave descendant advocate ALL OF A SUDDEN start pushing Denmark Vesey's views?

I watch her show, you can tell she's always in a bind when 2nd gens call up, she really treads lightly.

Jemmy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
OK, thanks.
I'm only familiar with the basics about DV , but I do know that he was born in what is the West Indies.
The subtitle of the episode Denmark Vesey:RECLAIMING LINEAGE & LEGACY would seem to be inaccurate and inconsistent with the stances she's taken during the last year or so.

I'm not challenging her right to draw that line in the sand and be concerned with her specific group. Everybody has to look out for themselves in this world, nobody else will. The title of the vid directly contradicts comments that I've heard her say specifically about lineage and legacy. Following the points she's made before , an immigrant* who arrives to US today from St. Thomas is not AADOS and doesn't share her history, a Black person whose family arrived here in 1870s from St. Thomas is not AADOS and doesn't share her history, but somehow Denmark Vesey is part of her legacy and lineage?HOW?
*(St. Thomas is currently U.S. territory, so technically the first example wouldn't be an immigrant)

I'm going to familiarize myself with more of the story , but from the outside, it appears that she used the wrong example to make her point.

Denmark Vesey was enslaved as a kid on this land too and later gained his freedom. So therefore his descendants are most likely AADOS. She’s claiming him as an ancestor. Which he is.