10-Year-Olds Found Working Unpaid at Kentucky McDonald’s Until 2 a.m.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
It's a bit of a distraction from the real issues. When I was a kid, I went to work with my dad sometimes especially on the night shift, and I'm sure all sorts of shyt I did was illegal. Getting to do work was fun cause I only went there once in a blue moon. But that's on my dad, not my employer, it's not like they hired me to do that shyt.

The other hundreds of teenagers who were working illegally is likely the bigger problem.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
It's a bit of a distraction from the real issues. When I was a kid, I went to work with my dad sometimes especially on the night shift, and I'm sure all sorts of shyt I did was illegal. Getting to do work was fun cause I only went there once in a blue moon. But that's on my dad, not my employer, it's not like they hired me to do that shyt.

The other hundreds of teenagers who were working illegally is likely the bigger problem.

Yeah 300+ children working illegal hours and performing tasks prohibited for young workers seems pretty problematic.

I would imagine it was pretty severe and blatant for these restaurants to get caught and formally punished as well

I wonder if the US will ever acknowledge there's a labor shortage... well I'm sure the government knows but the general public

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
buried lede in the cbs article

The rise in child labor comes as Republican lawmakers are moving to loosen child labor protections in a number of states. In Arkansas, Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed a law in March to make it easier for children under 16 to get hired. In Iowa, lawmakers in the state Senate in April passed legislation that would permit 14- and 15-year-olds to work in freezers and meat coolers.

:snoop:

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
This has been a trend since 2021. Lots of GOP states are rolling back child labor laws and lots of companies are hiring children to do dangerous work.

Congress should do something about this but they won’t.

The only way to make this stuff stop is holding business leaders criminally liable, not fining them.

ill

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mother Russia & Greater Israel
buried lede in the cbs article

The rise in child labor comes as Republican lawmakers are moving to loosen child labor protections in a number of states. In Arkansas, Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders signed a law in March to make it easier for children under 16 to get hired. In Iowa, lawmakers in the state Senate in April passed legislation that would permit 14- and 15-year-olds to work in freezers and meat coolers.

:snoop:

As far as the article in OP - that's fukked up on numerous levels but as far as this quoted post, im gonna disagree. These are farming states and they need those hands. In Maine, they shut school down for 3 weeks so the kids can help harvest potatoes. I'm sure Iowa and Arkansas have similar needs. I started working at 14, I dont see any issue with these kids trying to earn some money and gain real world skills. So what if a 15 year old works in a freezer? There will certainly be some jobs that actually are "too dangerous" for a young kid but theres more than enough legitimate work for them to do.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
i support kids at around 12 or 13 years old doing limited roles, part time, and only at reasonable hours. 2am in a kitchen is not good.

88m3

Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I forgot @ill was like what's wrong with working in freezers but here we go and historically they don't want children working in the meat industry which I feel like should be pretty understandable... you guys had to take American history right?

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
This has been a trend since 2021. Lots of GOP states are rolling back child labor laws and lots of companies are hiring children to do dangerous work.

Congress should do something about this but they won’t.

The only way to make this stuff stop is holding business leaders criminally liable, not fining them.
You do know they are violating federal labor laws when it comes to child labor right?