250 kids received glasses at my H.S. for the 1st time, (effects of poverty)

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
So the social worker at the high school I work at headed up an initiative to get students free eyeglasses. They came in last week and some of the responses surprised me. "Oh, so this is what it feels like to see clearly". "Wow, this is amazing!!" Like it reminded of the videos you see of blind kids seeing for the 1st time. These 14-18 years who had no idea what it feels like to see clearly. People in this country have no idea of the effects of poverty. I'm not just talking about a lack of money. But a mentality. These kids have been suffering all their lives and some of them had no idea why. They didn't realize they needed glasses. So even I was happy for them. This was one of the saddest things I saw.

TAYLONDO SAMSWORTHY

Veteran
Verified
Supporter
Daps
Mannnnnn I’ve had glasses/contacts all my life. The times in between when my glasses broke or I ran outta disposable contacts were HELL. Not being able to see is a devastating disability that no one really thinks about.

I got lasik eye surgery about 5 years ago or so and that was the best $3k I’ve ever spent in my life 🥹

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
Mannnnnn I’ve had glasses/contacts all my life. The times in between when my glasses broke or I ran outta disposable contacts were HELL. Not being able to see is a devastating disability that no one really thinks about.

I got lasik eye surgery about 5 years ago or so and that was the best $3k I’ve ever spent in my life 🥹
Do you have to put drops in every day with lasik?

TAYLONDO SAMSWORTHY

Veteran
Verified
Supporter
Daps
Do you have to put drops in every day with lasik?

Nah, just the medicated drops they give you after surgery. I think that was for a week or so. Afterwards you’re good, no more drops for me at least.

I use Lumify drops every once in a blue moon when i hit the streets or event because they give my eyes that super bright white color 😍

Hater Eraser

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
That California Lifestyle ...
full

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
people always be like, blame the parents when kids at poor schools struggle. lazy and changes nothing
Things like this could be more heavily contributing factors to improving their grades.
It’s still the parents fault for not properly caring for the child.

These irresponsible piece of trash parents don’t take care of thier kids and set them up to fail, it is their fault.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

These irresponsible piece of trash parents don’t take care of thier kids and set them up to fail, it is their fault.
"it still the parents fault" changes nothing. its a complaint with no valid recourse for correction. Basically just means you have given up on the kids when you say that, Unless they can actually come up with a way to hold parents accountable , people need to stop shouting that at clouds and work on plan b for improving kids education. We have entire schools where not a single student has a passing grade. People need to come with something better than "its the parents"

valet

The official Chaplin of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
You must live in a state where Medicaid doesn’t cover glasses.
I'm in Michigan. Im sure it does but at the same time with poverty it's complicated. Not gonna bash the parents because I don't know for certain. But with poverty some things are not priorities.

UWasntThere

Superstar
Daps

It really doesn't matter whose fault it is, does it? These are kids.