30,000 grocery workers could soon be out on strike in New England

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
Thousands of Stop & Shop employees vote to authorize strike, union says

DEDHAM, Mass. —

Stop & Shop employees who are members of the United Food & Commercial Workers Local 1445 union "overwhelmingly" voted to authorize a strike, if necessary, according to union officials.

Members of UFCW Local 1445 gathered at Lombardo's in Randolph Sunday morning after their contract with Stop & Shop expired at midnight. The workers voted after hearing a detailed update on negotiations with the company

UFCW Local 1445 officials said the union and four others representing more than 30,000 Stop & Shop workers in New England have been negotiating a new contract with representatives from the grocery chain over the past several weeks.

According to UFCW Local 1445, all of Stop & Shop's proposals during negotiations have only cut workers' benefits, despite its parent company, Ahold Delhaize, netting $74 billion in sales last year. The union also said Ahold Delhaize authorized over $1 billion in stock buybacks for its shareholders.

“This is a slap in the face to our members, our communities, and Stop & Shop customers," said UFCW Local 1445 President Jeff Bollen. "Instead of investing in our members, many of whom have given Stop & Shop over 40 years of service, Ahold would rather ship money overseas. This only serves to grow the income of wealthy executives, and hurts our communities along with the service our loyal customers expect in their stores. Today, Local 1445 members stood strong and demanded that Stop & Shop invest in all of us.”

Stop & Shop released the following statement to WCVB in response to the union vote to authorize a strike:

"We are continuing to work hard to reach strong new contracts which ensure that Stop & Shop continues to be a great place to work, with competitive wages and affordable health care for eligible associates. Full-time Stop & Shop associates are among the highest paid food retail workers in the region. Stop & Shop has committed up to $2 billion to upgrade our stores over the next several years to better serve our customers and communities as we also lower prices and expand opportunities for our associates.

"We are proud of our relationship with our associates and optimistic that we will be able to reach a new agreement. We are continuing to negotiate in good faith and remain committed to reaching a resolution as quickly as possible."

UFCW Local 1445 officials said the union will meet with Stop & Shop Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to continue talks. If those talks fail, a strike will likely begin.

Follow this story to get instant e-mail alerts from WCVB on the latest developments and related topics.

VICVALLIN

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Damn, I shop at stop and shop. Looks I'll be driving 10min out of my way to go to Wegman's.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i only go to stop and shop if im buying boars head

otherwise, motherfukk stop and shop :camby: crazy expensive. market basket>>>>>>>>

BoBurnz

Superstar
Daps
i only go to stop and shop if im buying boars head

otherwise, motherfukk stop and shop :camby: crazy expensive. market basket>>>>>>>>
They are stupid expensive :picard: $6 for a box of Frosted Flakes.

Market Basket cheaper, but god damn do I feel slimy when I walk through those stores, straight out of the 1960's decor and shyt with the cracked ass tiles everywhere. That said, Market Basket's strike was exceedingly effective and I hope this is the same.

(Tho I shop at Shaws cause they are slightly more expensive but way less gross inside)

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They are stupid expensive :picard: $6 for a box of Frosted Flakes.

Market Basket cheaper, but god damn do I feel slimy when I walk through those stores, straight out of the 1960's decor and shyt with the cracked ass tiles everywhere. That said, Market Basket's strike was exceedingly effective and I hope this is the same.

(Tho I shop at Shaws cause they are slightly more expensive but way less gross inside)
yea the difference between stop and shop and market basket, is the difference between target and walmart :dead: