'4 Your Eyez Only' is J Cole's best album.

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
now I'm not a J Cole fan by any means, my posts will show it but the Dreamville project has been a go to Sunday album now and again for me and I was listening Bas Milky Way and thought fukk it, I'll give a J Cole album a listen again.

I picked 4 Your Eyez Only and it surprised me.

When it came out I said it was more of the same from him. I was wrong, he toned down most of his worst instincts, cut all the sheen, cheese and the goofiness out of FHD stripped it back and put together his best album.

The album is condensed, well produced, actually well written. it's the best he's ever sounded rapping.
a guest or another voice was needed in the run of songs after DejaVu.

I get the reaction to it at the time. it wouldn't have won any cynics over (including me) and for him to make this album after what was seen as a step in the right direction with FHD (a classic for the gentrified generation) it probably wasn't what they wanted but it's the best out of a mediocre body of work.

:yeshrug:

...that is all.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
The thing I liked about that album was that by rapping from another perspective, he eliminated one of the biggest flaws of himself as a rapper. Cole's music is so singular and focused on his perspective, what he thinks, etc. Me, me me. When you do that while also being "conscious" it becomes easy to come off judgmental or just annoying. The few concept songs he did where he rapped from other perspectives felt very one note. Lights Please is like the classic track that started it all for him...but that shyt always felt paper thin and one note to me. Almost like a soulless attempt at making a Nas song.

4YEO has flaws, but the concept and that last track really give it more feeling than his other albums for me. He finally creates a fully developed concept/person who feels like a real person. I thought he did this well on his next album (KoD) well, especially that track about his mother. He's improving. Some rappers just do that shyt effortlessly out the gate like Common/Nas/Kendrick/etc, because they're introspective and evocative lyricists. Cole strikes me more as a punchline rapper who gained consciousness and started evolving on the mic.

Last edited:

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I agree. The maturity of that album in comparison to FHD is ridiculous.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
fukk no. That shyt was his worst album
I have the same view, that shyt is prolly his worst output.
fhd always had a winter feel to it to me so I always would play it when it gets cold.
almost all if not all of Cole's music is winter type music honestly

Even FHD feels like that and I would argue it has a more summer type.