5 years in IT no certs just hit $45/hr

Entropy Fan

Superstar
Daps
Just started to work with Airwatch MDM 6 months ago. I learned alot of admin level knowledge . I can build the organizational infrastructure that mobile devices use to be managed.

I got curious and applied for an admin role and within a week a got a job making $45 an hour. I started last week. Highest before that was $27 an hour.

It was easy stuff to learn too.

I got an A+ cert in 2012 when I first got into IT but it expired a few years ago. Experience is what most companies usually care about not certs.

Don't think coding or networking is only way to go. There's tons of IT options that pay alot

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Just started to work with Airwatch MDM 6 months ago. I learned alot of admin level knowledge . I can build the organizational infrastructure that mobile devices use to be managed.

I got curious and applied for an admin role and within a week a got a job making $45 an hour. I started last week. Highest before that was $27 an hour.

It was easy stuff to learn too.

I got an A+ cert in 2012 when I first got into IT but it expired a few years ago. Experience is what most companies usually care about not certs.

Don't think coding or networking is only way to go. There's tons of IT options that pay alot

Ever thought about working for VMWAre/AirWatch directly as a Functional Consultant?

Entropy Fan

Superstar
Daps
Ever thought about working for VMWAre/AirWatch directly as a Functional Consultant?
Sounds out of my pay grade right now. I consider myself a lower level admin. I'm studying and taking in as much info as I can cuz admin roles can pay much higher.

Also I like the flexibility of contract roles, I do my thing and can quit if I need to move or take a few weeks off. I'm also invisible at work since contractors are temps.

But I'm gonna look into it. Reps for the suggestion

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
mcnulty-kicks-desk-o.gif

Entropy Fan

Superstar
Daps
Congrats man, how old are you?
32. Graduated college in 08 worked a couple very low paying jobs, got depressed for a bit. Then I helped an African breh out by letting him stay with me in my tiny apt till since he just got to town and knew no one. He kicked knowledge about IT and I got an A+ for dummies book , got the cert and started desktop support 3 months later.

IT is a hustlers dream. Learn quick, pick up skills, exaggerate your resume and you can eat well. Always question more experienced brehs as much as you can.