6 Baltimore schools, no students proficient in state tests

King Poetic

Disciple Of God
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Near The Lake
i just knew before i read it, that a parent would blame others

what's really sad it could be a monday night and i'm coming home from work at 9pm and i see middle school and high school kids fooling around in the streets doing dirt instead in the house studied

but i guess that's the teacher fault as well

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Breh, it's the kids and parents that need to take it upon themselves to make education a priority. The teachers can only do so much. My wife teaches in Anne Arundel County just outside of Baltimore. She has a mix of students who are great and students who don't give a fukk.

The kids who are doing great are kids who take education seriously or have parents who are very involved. The kids who are failing just don't give a fukk and she never sees their parents at any of the parent/teacher conferences.

Yeah there are awful teachers, but majority of them go into the profession because they have a passion for teaching and really want to help. It's not like they go in there to make money:francis:

Becoming a teacher ain't that easy. Most counties require a Masters degree, plus you need to be certified on the subject you will be teaching in. No one is trying to spend all that time and money in school to make a shyt salary unless you have a passion for it.

Teachers get no respect in our society:mjcry:

I make twice as much in IT :win: and I don't work nearly as hard as my wife :krs:

Wife -- I'll be upstairs grading and getting lessons ready for tomorrow:shaq2:
Me -- I'm going to be in the family room (smokes a bowl, plays Overwatch for 3 hours):banderas:

Everything you say is true, but...

I taught a long time in some messed schools....teachers and teacher unions are a part of the problem too. I could tell horror stories for days here.

A lot of unions push the teachers to be concerned with their paycheck and job security above all else.

And all the factors you talk about are true, which in many cases leads the good teachers to burn out and what's left are the teachers who survive because they DON'T work long hours and DON'T care

You have to up the incentives to teach in tough schools AND create a better, more professionally fulfilling working environment for teachers AND make it easier for bad teachers to be weeded out of the system.

Last edited:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
:francis: I watched that documentary about Frederick Douglass high school some years back

i knew in my gut that it was gonna get worse

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
The schools are:

• Booker T. Washington Middle School
  • Frederick Douglass High School
  • Achievement Academy at Harbor City
  • New Era Academy
  • Excel Academy at Francis M. Wood High
  • New Hope Academy

Achievement Academy at Harbor City is an adult high school. Adults who couldn't make it through the regular high school process tend to have learning disabilities.

New Era Academy, Excel Academy at Francis M. Wood High, and New Hope Academy are all alternative schools. It is expected that their students will not be proficient and below grade level - often having learning disabilities and serious psychological problems.

When failing black schools have names like "Academy", small class sizes, and uniforms, it is a desperate attempt to imitate elite private schools, ignoring the fact that elite private schools test all of their students and only admit the smartest, the best behaved, and often the richest.

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
It should also be noted that this book predicted all of this in 2001
mcwhorter was laughed at and labeled a tom by black intelligentsia :francis:

51YszLEpSsL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(:whoa: I read this as a college student back when i was reading everything I could get my hands on:
dubois, dikk gregory, tavis smiley, woodson, shakur, bell hooks, etc etc..)

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dammit man, I'm so desensitized that I just ran over those names until you said something. That just made it worse. :mjcry:

Nothing is going to change until the people involved realized that EVERYTHING has to change. Yes, it starts in the home, but that ain't no simple shyt - it's about prisons and policing and welfare reform and role models and community solidarity and everything. And in the schools, the teachers AND the resources AND the administration AND the methodology all need a crazy workover.

That ain't saying that it's too tough, or that it shouldn't be the country's #1 priority. But too many people on the top coming in with simplistic solutions or political solutions. This is a much bigger problem than the political shyt.

I have a nephew and a niece and I have seen the incredibly time consuming work that my sister and her husband put in every day since they were born to educate their kids and they excel in school.

If kids are not getting any kind of commitment from parents starting at an early age, they are doomed to fail.

It's sad situation and I have no idea how to fix it.

Agent Mulder

Fight The Future
Daps
Reppin
NYC
It should also be noted that this book predicted all of this in 2001
mcwhorter was laughed at and labeled a tom by black intelligentsia :francis:

51YszLEpSsL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

(:whoa: I read this as a college student back when i was reading everything I could get my hands on:
dubois, dikk gregory, tavis smiley, woodson, shakur, bell hooks, etc etc..)

At first glance I connected the books title and the dudes hairline.

BaileyPark31

Love, Peace, Health, and Wealth
Daps
Reppin
The Keystone State
The academy schools are alternative schools but this trend is still beyond sad.

To have only half of the students graduate high school? That means there are hundreds already doomed for poverty in Baltimore (highly likely).

There are problem teachers and out of date curriculums but I truly believe this is a family / parent issue.

I have a college educated mom and step dad. They wouldaa damn near disowned me if I didn't graduate HISand further my education. I had 2 people that understood the process and purposes of higher education supporting me encouraging me and threatening me.

Idc if u have one parent or 2 parents, if the adult is uneducated and can't relate to graduation then how can they pass it on to their kids. Some kids look at it as if their parents didn't do x then they don't have to do x.