6 Years Since Guru's Passing Today, R.I.P & Appreciation.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Guru was 1 of my personal favourite MC's, what I loved about Guru was his content, his voice because it had an ill presence and his own unique flavour, he was positive yet still kept it street and dropped knowledge, authentic, he had a lot of dope lyrics, with Gang Starr or a lot of his solo work also. Guru and Gang Starr as a collective really stood for something, a sound and for substance. They meant a lot to me personally and to Hip Hop. Guru has so many classics, Premo deserves credit also of course but Guru really and truly does too, for example he poured his heart and soul out on Moment Of Truth the song with excellent skill, lyrics and content, he made that 1 of the greatest songs I've heard. Guru, similar to Rakim incorporated elements of Jazz into his flow style, also musically of course.

I wrote this a lot better previously but lost it so just a quick rewrite, but could talk about Guru all day, was, still and will always be a huge fan and have a lot of respect and admiration for him. Will come back to this at some point.

But salute to Guru, R.I.P.

GPBear

The Tape Crusader
Daps
Reppin
Bay-to-PDX
Most underrated emcee in hip-hop imo. Him and CL Smooth never get respect.

It takes a special kind of rapper to carry the vocals on entire albums with beats done by the GOATs. A lot of guys can't even rap on one Primo beat, Guru was a master.

And his solo Jazzamataz puts him into a special echelon of early 90s/Jazz/Hip-hop that only a few (ATCQ) can compare to.

"A poet like Langston Hughes"