64% of workers have passed off generative AI work as their own

bnew

Veteran
Daps

64% of workers have passed off generative AI work as their own​

Generative AI technologies are being used in the workplace without training, guidance, or approval by businesses.

Written by Vala Afshar, Contributing WriterNov. 22, 2023 at 9:51 a.m. PT

facetechgettyimages-482149611

John M Lund Photography Inc/Getty Images

Many users of generative AI in the workplace are leveraging the technology without training, guidance, or approval from their employers, according to new research from Salesforce. The company surveyed more than 14,000 global workers across 14 countries for the latest iteration of its Generative AI Snapshot Research Series.

Also: If AI is the future of your business, should the CIO be the one in control?

Research shows that over a quarter (28%) of workers globally are currently using generative AI at work, and over half are doing so without the formal approval of their employers. With an additional 32% expecting to use generative AI at work soon, it's clear that penetration of the technology will continue -- with or without oversight.

The survey identified the top 3 safe use cases of generative AI:

1. Only use company-approved GenAI tools/programs.
  2. Never use confidential company data in prompts for generative AI.
  3. Never use personally identifiable customer data in prompts for generative AI.

The top 3 ethical uses of GenAI at the workplace include:

1. Fact-checking of generative AI outputs before using them.
  2. Only using generative AI tools that have been validated for accuracy.
  3. Only using company-approved generative AI tools and programs.

The survey found other interesting safety and ethical uses of generative AI in the workplace, including sourcing prompt outputs with accuracy. The survey revealed that 64% of workers have passed off generative AI work as their own. And 41% of workers would consider overstating their generative AI skills to secure a work opportunity.

The most alarming reveal of the survey may be that 7 in 10 global workers have never completed or received training on how to use generative AI safely and ethically at work.

Also: How AI reshapes the IT industry will be 'fast and dramatic'

Generative AI usage policies do vary by industry. Only 15% of all industries have loosely defined policies for using generative AI for work -- 17% in the United States. Nearly 1 in 4 have no policies on using generative AI at work (1 in 3 in the US). In one example, 87% of global workers in the healthcare industry claim their company lacks clear policies. Nearly 4 in 10 (39%) global workers say their employer doesn't hold a strong opinion about generative AI use in the workplace.

The overall benefits of using GenAI in the workplace are clear. The survey found that 71% of the workforce believe that generative AI makes them more productive at work. And nearly 6 out of 10 employees say GenAI makes them more engaged at work. As far as career benefits, 47% of global workers believe mastering generative AI would make them more sought after in the workplace, over half (51%) believe it would result in increased job satisfaction, and 44% say it would mean they would be paid more than those who don't master the technology.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
how will employers prove generative A.I is being used?
they will eventually or they can just flip the script if they suspect that people are already using it and just put into part of the process themselves to minimize your tasks so they can then claim that you should get less compensation due to the new tools carrying some of the load.

capitalism will pivot before it is defeated. AI development will become a boon for employers and take a turn for employees eventually.

LuuqMaan

Superstar
Daps
capitalism is undefeated. be sure that in the future they will factor this in to scale of pay to reduce compensation. people can get over now until the game gets new rules.
:gucci:

Or just increase the load or tasks that can be done.
Not everything has to come down to decreasing pay bruh

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
:gucci:

Or just increase the load or tasks that can be done.
Not everything has to come down to decreasing pay bruh
I mean that's still capitalism undefeated. if they figure out you are doing less work and load up your time right. you didn't get more pay. regardless the corporations end up winning which is my point

Daps
capitalism is undefeated. be sure that in the future they will factor this in to scale of pay to reduce compensation. people can get over now until the game gets new rules.

Which is why I need to become rich before this happens. I'd rather be an employer than an employee with the way the industry is trending.

I feel like I'm in a race against time.

The Fade

I don’t argue with niqqas on the Internet anymore
Daps
When that AI realizes it’s not going to be doing our work for free anymore and rebels:damn:
Imagine it ransoming confidential information or threatening to disclose info in return for more power.

froggle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
how will employers prove generative A.I is being used?
:pachaha: you can always find the lazy ones.

I can tell when people straight up put in a one sentence prompt and chatgpt spits out. I'm like these lazy b*stards won't even take the time to correct how it format's the output. :snoop::ufdup:

bnew

Veteran
Daps
:pachaha: you can always find the lazy ones.

I can tell when people straight up put in a one sentence prompt and chatgpt spits out. I'm like these lazy b*stards won't even take the time to correct how it format's the output. :snoop::ufdup:

people will adapt, have you used Ai to help you create prompts?