82 year old dogset man facing eviction crashes out and set himself on fire while being served. Dog dies in fire

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
At the same time it's becoming harder to feel sorry for landlords when they expect people to pay 80 percent of their income towards rent, and vote against affordable housing because it would lower the value of their property.

Full disclosure: I worked in property management and as a landlord you are not supposed to rent to a tenant when their rent is more than 30 percent of their verifiable income.

Now if they are subject to huge rent increases (which I think is crap doing this to good tenants), yeah the landlord is being greedy. Affordable housing is voted down by home owners in most areas not landlords. Landlords tbh are fine with renting to anyone if they pay and don't destroy the place. Homeowners get pissed about home values and 'bad elements'.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Full disclosure: I worked in property management and as a landlord you are not supposed to rent to a tenant when their rent is more than 30 percent of their verifiable income.

Now if they are subject to huge rent increases (which I think is crap doing this to good tenants), yeah the landlord is being greedy. Affordable housing is voted down by home owners in most areas not landlords. Landlords tbh are fine with renting to anyone if they pay and don't destroy the place. Homeowners get pissed about home values and 'bad elements'.
Landlords aren't supposed to rent to people for more than 30 percent, but what they do is raise rent once people's lease ends and force them to move out if they can't afford it. It's one of the ways they gentrify neighborhoods.

There's almost no difference between landlords and home owners, 70 percent of rentals are owned by individuals not rental companies. Most landlords do not support rent control or affordable housing.

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
got a head start on where he'll spend eternity

full

The Half-Blood FKA Prince

Shroom gummies, liquor and destiny
Daps
Not advocating against tenant rights in any way, but you think people have a right to stay in a leased residence if they aren't paying rent? Just curious what options you think are feasible.

The only big exception I agree with is onerous and insane rent increases on tenants forcing them to the wall.
Thats just the thing. No one is entitled to a free ride but housing should be affordable and no reason not to be available to all of these income brackets.

Should not cost an entire damn ssi check+ just to live in the hood and that is before we even get to bills.

The pressure of keeping a roof over ones head and the lights on, particularly for some of society's most vulnerable(elderly, physically/mentally disabled, and just well....sorry, stupid people)is pushing people to do desperate and unthinkable things and that is all by design.

Raising income like <1% annually isnt much help they raise the price of everything exponentially higher.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bidenomics
biden_PNG25.png

Rents rose for third straight month in March: Redfin​

Median rent in the U.S. rose for the third consecutive month in March, up 0.8 percent from a year ago to $1,987, according to a new report from real estate company Redfin.

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
Bidenomics
biden_PNG25.png

Rents rose for third straight month in March: Redfin​

Median rent in the U.S. rose for the third consecutive month in March, up 0.8 percent from a year ago to $1,987, according to a new report from real estate company Redfin.

The federal, state and local government can impose rent control but only a few states actually do but that’s not the issue here.

That dog died for nothing because it had crazy azz owners. :martin:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not advocating against tenant rights in any way, but you think people have a right to stay in a leased residence if they aren't paying rent? Just curious what options you think are feasible.

The only big exception I agree with is onerous and insane rent increases on tenants forcing them to the wall.
For the last 4 years, the federal and state governments have provided hundreds of millions in rental assistance (which are just massive subsidies to landlords), which a variety of landlord and property management companies across the country have refused to accept.

I have no issue with people not paying rent and staying in a leased residence, in part because I'm not a landlord or property manager, I'm a professional with a real job :pachaha:

Evictions are not exclusively non-payment of rent - they are: 1) often retaliatory, against protected activity; 2) done constructively (read: illegally); 3) not for any cause aside from wanting to raise rent dramatically; 4) against people who are the victims of domestic violence, disinterested violence, mistaken identity by police, or who are disabled; 5) done to displace local Black populations, and; 6) done when money is available to cover the rent.

One of the things I do a lot of is tenant defense and civil rights lawsuits against landlords and property managers - I have plenty of cases, sources, and data if you're interested in this.

As for this case: I'm blankedly opposed to evicting an 82-year-old person. They will die on the streets or in a shelter.