9th Wonder On The Combat Jack Show

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
:ohhh: how did median get left out

Everyone was in the Justus League. Median was supposed to be on Speed. he didn't/couldn't make it, so Pooh came. The song came out dope, and it became LB's first song, as they decided to try to make a little group out of it.

Here's the story:

9th Wonder:The Listening was done in Missie Ann. Cesar Comanche, who I met when I was attending North Carolina State University, lived not far from the school. He stayed in a two-bedroom apartment, and that’s basically our studio Missie Ann. [Comanche] named it after his sister. And we pretty much did that album in Comanche’s other room besides the bathroom.

"Every song on The Listening has a story to it, which is crazy. We started recording The Listening in August of 2001, which will make this August the ten-year anniversary when we started Little Brother.

“So the story goes like this. At the time Phonte was doing his 9 to 5 at Blue Cross Blue Shield Association, the insurance company, and he would come into the studio, and then going back to his 9 to 5, sometimes without even sleeping. That was a repeating fashion.

”One day, Phonte and I were doing a song called ‘Speed.’ Phonte did his part, and we took ‘Take A Look’ by Joc Max and Grap Luva, put out by DJ Spinna, which has a part that goes, ‘I put my JBs on when I hustle with speed,’ and I really loved that part, so I put that in there.

”We asked Median to be on it. He said he was down to do it, but on the weekend we wanted to record it, we couldn’t find Median. Pooh, who was originally from Virginia, was in town at the time with his friends in Charlotte, North Carolina. Matter of fact, I think around March or April of 2001, Pooh asked Phonte to be a group, and Phonte said, ‘No.’

“But Median wasn’t around, so we were like, ‘Let’s just ask Pooh, he’s in town.’ So Pooh came in, and recorded the song, and we listened to the song like 18 times, and I looked at Phonte afterward and said, ‘Let’s try to be a group, man. Let’s see what it sounds like.’ Median could have been a member of Little Brother. ‘Speed’ was the first song we recorded as a group, because Median didn’t show up. But we thought it sounded good, so we just said, ‘Let’s be a group.’ And that’s the first song in Little Brother’s existence.”

Motife43

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Phonte listening to 4Hero, the best producers, that unfortunately most have and will never hear

You ever heard the joint with 4Hero, Phonte, and D-Brock?

Was at a Red Lobster one time and heard it.
12d52d35f84cce17d7709d04a0480de5.gif

Damn near was like that over my cheddar bay biscuits

Last edited:

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You ever heard the joint with 4Hero, Phonte, and D-Brock?

Was at a Red Lobster one time and heard it.
12d52d35f84cce17d7709d04a0480de5.gif

Damn near was like that over my cheddar bay biscuits

Nah, I ain't heard that or them other joints, it's weird since I have Play with changes

NYK Loyalist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven't finished it yet but great episode so far. Back in I think 02' a friend of mine had The Listening or some of it early on a cassette tape because one of his boys who did some work for The Roots went down to NC to try and manage them. I remember listening to it and thinking this sounds like it comes from the Native Tongues family and I liked it but I didn't think it would actually come out and have the underground impact it did. Anyway there catalog with the first 3 LB albums, the 3 LB mixtapes, the first FE album, Phonte's solo album plus 9th's stuff with Murs is some of my favorite music post 2000.

Morose Polymath

GODHOOD
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Above The Clouds
Brehs!! Being a Winston-Salem, NC native this interview was surreal for me!!:krs:

I could relate to so much of what 9th was talking about during coming up.

This interview had so many quotables and high points :whew:

Him talking about the late nineties/ early 2000s era of Rawkus and Underground movement :wow:

His Phonte stories about when Pete Rock called and when he did the Percy Miracles thing

Him talking about making his first real scratch from making beats

Him calling Young Thug a c00n :banderas:

His mutual respect for Gucci, and Gucci telling him "You Got That Soul, nikka" :wow:

Him talking about wanting to do an album with DOOM

I really couldn't give 2 shyts about Rapsody :yeshrug:

Props to the breh @CombatJack for another spectacular episode:salute: