A mental patient had one of the best explanations for why Nas got Jay... very unique perspective.

Existential

Nothing really matters...
Daps
Dude was saying the reason that Nas got Jay was because Nas was grumpy. Yes, grumpy. Not angry, not bitter, not miserable, but grumpy like an old ass man.

He was saying what made Ether so funny to people was how Nas is like an old soul, right? But here is this old soul just snapping on a nikka, saying some of the foulest shyt. It's because Nas normally comes off as so mature that Ether just seems jarring. Nas is like an old ass man cursing like a seven year old because he's grumpy, and that's funny to people.

Whereas, he said "Jay tries to be fresh, young, flashy." Takeover is him trying to be a young man going against an elder, it just doesn't have the same impact because of that dynamic. When a kid curses you out, they're saying some shyt they're not supposed to say. They're disrespectful, they're rude, it's not all that funny.

When an old man curses you out, what the fukk can you say? Think about it. If a 70 year old is like "get the fukk out of my way Jerome, or I'll run your ass over." It's funny! You're even going to listen! When old people snap on you, even you will be laughing at it.

I just found it interesting that this dude had this insight. I wonder if he posts here...

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
Dude was saying the reason that Nas got Jay was because Nas was grumpy. Yes, grumpy. Not angry, not bitter, not miserable, but grumpy like an old ass man.

He was saying what made Ether so funny to people was how Nas is like an old soul, right? But here is this old soul just snapping on a nikka, saying some of the foulest shyt. It's because Nas normally comes off as so mature that Ether just seems jarring. Nas is like an old ass man cursing like a seven year old because he's grumpy, and that's funny to people.

Whereas, he said "Jay tries to be fresh, young, flashy." Takeover is him trying to be a young man going against an elder, it just doesn't have the same impact because of that dynamic. When a kid curses you out, they're saying some shyt they're not supposed to say. They're disrespectful, they're rude, it's not all that funny.

When an old man curses you out, what the fukk can you say? Think about it. If a 70 year old is like "get the fukk out of my way Jerome, or I'll run your ass over." It's funny! You're even going to listen! When old people snap on you, even you will be laughing at it.

I just found it interesting that this dude had this insight. I wonder if he posts here...

Took me years to admit it, but; Nas won that battle.

Ether is legitimate difficult to listen to.

When I put on Stillmatic and cringe when dem gunshots start.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I dont see where Jay came off as trying to be young fresh and flashy at all....everything he said Nas did good on ether jay did exceptional....jay had the demeanor of a old head talkin down on lil nikkas not on his level....imo he won becuz he was the underdog and everybody doubted him at that point....and he suprused everybody by basically doing his best Jay impression on Jay...although he's not nearly as slick or disrespectful as my prime Jay:mjcry:....he actually had the credibility and pedigree bcuz he came out first,was respected first....so at the end of the day Nas using Jays "og talking down to lil nikkas " style,worked bcuz in this music shyt Nas is the og to Jay when u check the timeline....but Takeover is still the better diss record and ill day sayin that:manny:

really tho

that ain't gangsta
Supporter
Daps
the ether: a heightened emotional state where you are no longer thinking rationally but you are reacting emotionally.